Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to: Extract part of an image to place on new background

HI All,

I have not been playing with Xara for photo editing for a while, in fact not at all with the 2013 version I have. I have the Photo and Graphic Designer 2013. I am trying to lift my two daughters from a photo so that I can place them on a Christmas Card background. I found Egg's great tutorial on this site but wondered whether things had change for the 2013 version, ie, is there a quicker way?

Thanks in advance
    Andy

Default Re: How to: Extract part of an image to place on new background

Hi Andy,

If the tutorial your referring to is the cow cut-out one, then yes things have changed in Xara since then. However a lot depends on the contrast/difference between the part of the image you want to keep (by using a mask) and the bits you want to remove. Could you supply a copy of the photo you want to work on?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This is a very old Xara Xone Workbook tutorial, but this is still the method I use: http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook36/page_4.htm

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

There is a quicker way but you would have to upgrade to P&GD or XDP 10. The newest versions have a new background erase feature that is quick and easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I sort of managed to removed the girls from the backgrond and place them on top of a Christmas background but wasn't sure how to remove the troubling scenery between the girls. Please find attached.
    Thanks
    Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Girls onone of the backgrounds I was trying.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Zoom in and use the shape tool. start with the bit between the girls and draw a shape over the unwanted part (just like in the aforementioned cow video). Take your time and adjust the curve handles as necessary to get a precise shape once you have reached the end and the shape is closed select it and the girls and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+2 and boom it will be gone

Also I would use the shape tool and add more nodes in a few places along their pants, around the pom poms on their toques and around their feet and adjust the curve handles to mask the girls a bit more precisely Then you can back off on the feathering just a bit and as a final touch if you have the eraser tool you can use a a small setting about 20 or so and make it really soft and go over the bottoms of the girls shoes just a bit to give the illusion they are standing in the snow.

If you don't have the eraser tool you draw some small blobby white shapes and give them a large amount of feathering and place them over the bottoms of the feet to achieve a similar effect
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Many thanks Angelize. This was only a quick extraction done whilst sitting in bed last night. I'll follow your guide and tidy it up a bit.. well, a lot actually.
    Many thanks folks.

I must be doing somethng wrong. How can I check the portion between the girls is "closed"? I try to select the girls and "Ctrl 2" but it selects the girls and the portion between them. I presume I haven't closed that area.

You can tell if it’s a shape & not a line by selecting it and in the status bar bottom left of the window it states 1 line or 1 shape.

See the attached

I also did some more editing around the trousers shoes and pom-poms. This is the great thing about Xara as it's non destructive and always editable.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host