Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cut image in pieces?

Hi,

I have an image that I want to turn into separate images. Right now, I have an image that is as wide as a website and there are menu topics written on it, spaced properly.

I want to cut the image so that it becomes 6 images that fit perfectly together. Is there a way to do that with Xara?

Thanks.
    Kathleen

Default Re: Cut image in pieces?

Of course.

It the image a bitmap?

Probably the best way is to first make sure that your image is in even pixels (644px vs. 644.3px for example), and that your image is positioned on the page in exact pixel amounts.

Create rectangles the sizes of the shapes you want to Create and position them over the image.

Make sure the rectangles are even pixel amounts and are positioned over the bitmap in even pixel locations.

Select one rectangle and the bitmap and Arrange > Combine Shapes > Slice Shapes. Repeat this step for each of the remaining rectangles and with the remaining portion of the image.

Hold down the Alt key and click on the rectangle twice to select the bitmap under the rectangle. Then Shift click to select the rectangle. The status bar lower left with indicate two selected objects.

Download the attached Zip file and extract the folder to your desktop. Double click on the index.htm file to open it in your web browser.

Now open the index_htm_files folder and you can see that the single image is made up of individual sections.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gwpriester; 15 July 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Hi Gary - Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'd like to snap the boxes to one another, but can't figure out how to turn Snap on. The weird thing about the help at Xara is that they tell you what tool to use, but not how to find it. Where is that sucker anyway?
    Kathleen

Not sure what product you are using. When you have a moment can up update your profile.

Make sure the orange magnate icon is in the down position (enabled).

Or right click on the page and select Snap To... Objects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap to objects.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	102824  

Also Kathleen,

Go into the help files and search for "snapping". There is a very extensive section on the various types of snapping that Xara is capable of:

Xara Designer Pro X9 offers three types of snapping.

• Snap to grid
    • Magnetic snapping (snap to objects)

• Snap to guidelines or guide objects

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Mr. Moderator Emeritus Dude, Sir - That magnet must be the only icon and dropdown I didn't pour over. Thanks! I appreciate the screenshot, too. And the profile has been updated :-)

Hi Egg - Thanks for the reply. I did review that extensive section for Photo & Graphic Designer. Interestingly enough, there was no mention of how to turn the thing on! But, now it makes a lot of sense.

As always, I can count on quick and friendly help - this is a great forum.
    Kathleen