Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sign help

Default Re: sign help

Seems to me that a 'tile' print option should be on the Xara wish list.
    I have to resort to my ancient version of Freehand ( R.I.P. Aldus and Macromedia ) for this sort of printing.

Yes, I seem to recall Artworks had the tile print feature as well.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I was asked for a similar request a few week back but had no idea how to go about it, after watching your video Egg, I do now. Thanks for a great video, which I've downloaded and also the pot.xar file, very useful to have for reference.

Cheers
    Stygg

ive always used ace poster for printing big jobs mostly large posters
    it seems to work for me
    http://www.intemove.com

what ive also done for sign painting in the distant past is a projector
    but for that you need an overhead projector of course
    and you print out onto transparent film
    then it really is a piece of cake

excellent video egg
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Tile your lettering with one of the programs mentioned, tape them together and get some old cardboard or cork to place under your pattern. I would suggest going to your art supply store and purchasing a pounce wheel with sharp teeth, if not an option, you can use a small nail, sharp pin or fork, yes I have done them all... and go around the lettering poking small holes. once this is done, you tape your pattern to the sign and take chalk dust in an old sock or piece of fabric and begin tapping it over the holes, you then remove your pattern and the lines for your lettering are reveled. you can check out youtube for some videos on pounce patterns for the sign industry. Hope this helps.

When I create signs intended for 48" x 96" inches, I usually create the letters and graphics at 25 or 50% scale, since Xara won't let me create a 48" x 96" sized drawing. I export as .AI, and import to Flexi-Pro my sign cutting software, then I rescale the letters and graphics to proper width, and send to the vinyl cutter. I'm not sure what software you are using to do the actual vinyl cutting, so I cannot comment further. Its a work-around method to create at smaller scale, but I do this all the time.