Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Poll question

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have zero idea what "answer" I'm mandated to provide in this field

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've tried attaching files here before and it didn't work. I also have Notifications: On and never receive them. Perhaps it's because of my novice status in this forum. Regardless, what I finally came up with for my website headerWebsite header is attached (?) and can also be seen in the ultimate application. I like it pretty well, far more than what I previously had. It was an unintentional surprise that after it completes its single animation (rotate lights only for "Plaques&Letters", rotate text and lights for ".com") it's white text with an outline & shadow around it. I thought it's end as it began, but that's OK. It likely has something to do with how many rotations per cycle were designated. BYW: You guys are great. Thanks for your "hep"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	website_animated_header.gif 
Views:	451 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	16942  

Hey the attachment worked this time. BTW I meant BTW with my last post, not BYW. OOOOOpsie. Hey I just woke up.:-) http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Me again. I realize that my graphic in the above post is far down the page. It animates once so you'll likely need to hit refresh to see it do so.

NEW QUESTION: Why the "heck" (or something like that http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif) is it, when I insert the attached rotating animated gif into an email (using Outlook Express if that's relevant) I'm the only one that can see it?!? Recipients see the dreaded Red <span class="ev_code_RED">X</span> in a box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email.gif 
Views:	429 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	19185  

Are you sending it as an attachment? if so they will probably need to save it to their hard drive, then open it in a web browser to see it.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Christine Farrelly:
    Are you sending it as an attachment? if so they will probably need to save it to their hard drive, then open it in a web browser to see it.

Christine <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dunno what "open it in a web browser" means in this context. Is that British for "imaging program", like Imaging or Paint or PhotoImpression or Photoshop or MS Photo Editor ad infinitum? Regardless:

No I might have been a bit more clear. When I said "into" I meant into the body of the email, not as an attachment. Curiously, I can personally see the gifs animate when doing that, not only when I'm prepping the email but also when it lands in my Outlook Express Sent folder. Everyone else just sees red X's in a box http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif.

It could depend on what e-mail viewer they are using.

'Open in a web browser' - open in something like Internet explorer usually with a GIF file this just means double clicking the file.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I realize this entire topic is off-forum for two reasons: 1) this is a Polling forum, and 2) generally this is for Xara topics only. That said, thanks for replying.

When I think of a "web browser" or specifically "Internet Explorer" (and sorry but who cares about Netscape) to me that means exploring the internet. Viewing files on a computer can of course be done completely offline, without even an internet connection. That's what threw me about what you said. And when I double click files they certainly don't open in Internet Explorer. They open up in different programs (including those I previously mentioned) depending on the file type (gif jpeg or bitmap).

I just sent two files inserted into the body (not as attachments), one animated, one non, from my Outlook Express program to my own yahoo mail program (which isn't a "program" to me it's a website). Both arrived as red X's. When I send them to my own Outlook Express addresses, they look fine.

Is the answer that they're never gonna appear as anything but red <span class="ev_code_RED">x</span>'s in webmail (yahoo mail and hotmail) sent to ANYone, but WILL appear correctly--and I don't know the generic term but let's call it "HTML Mail"-- when sent via Outlook, Outlook Express Eudora etc TO an Outlook, Outlook Express Eudora etc user?

I know for A FACT some people have seen inserted pics in my sent emails before. In fact and most perplexingly, the same people who formerly were able to do so now cannot! This is one of those "little issues" that I wind up obsessing endlessly about.

PS: Love that Xara. Attached is the other reason (beyond my Website Header) that I bought it: To create an animated banner for link exchanges. In mine and others' opinion mine is a quite nice 'site for my category (architectural signage) and has great listings on almost every search engine BUT Google, which seems a shame and frankly stupid, which is how I deem their entire Link Popularity/Page Rank primary criteria for rankings. That has exactly ZERO to do with the validity of my 'site, nor it's utility to those searching for architectural signage. It seems you either need to have been published since '98, pay Overture or have a zillion incoming links, which means trading links, to even appear in Google. I'm determined to do the latter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi ThatGuy,

When you insert a graphic into the body of Outlook Express, all that is in the document is a link to the file on your hard drive. You can see the image because the file exists on you hard drive in the path the link refers to. Anyone else will not be able to see the file. When you open the email you sent to your Yahoo account, the link is trying to find the file on the hard drive of the server. You see the image place hold (box with red x) because the file does not exisit on the server in the folder the link points to. For any one else to see the image you will have to send it as an attachment.

Christine mentioned opening the attachment in a browers (Web Browser, i.e. Internet Explorer, or Netscape) because jpg and gif files can be displayed in a web browser. And as you mentioned they can also be displayed in a graphics program, i.e. Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Soquili
    a.k.a Bill Taylor
    I add you to my "thank you for putting up with these rudimentary questions" list. But now I'm left wondering:
    1) I have sent SCORES of animated gifs like the one attached inserted into the body of the email before. Also static jpegs. People SAW them. Really. My sister for instance always got a giggle out of them. Why can't they be seen now?

2)Why does Outlook Express even have an Insert-Picture Option if it can't work? Once again this has zip/nada to do with Insert-File Attachments. It has to do with essentially creating an email letterhead with an animated gif.

"Let's not go there" with "Well you can create stationery with Outlook Express..." Understood. And no one can see that either. I've ticked off more than one person (read: woman, as I was bizzy bizzy in de per'nals at one pernt) with "...Can you see the green dragon Rich Text stationery this email is written on...?" Nope. I think the only ones who ever could were AOL users, certainly not Yahoo or Hotmail.
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi ThatGuy,

You have hit on the problem, I believe. I have noticed there are some people that do not use rich text as the default email format. Some email systems do not support rich text, especially if they are not using Microsoft email servers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update