Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Best way to make tiling sidestrips in Xara Web Designer Premium 10?

Hello,

Dear Xara, I think the new Web Design features are absolutely fabulous.

I am liking the new WDP10. A lot. Learning it by refreshing my MIL's painting site. Please can anyone tell me, or remind me, how I can put a border down the side of the page that can stretch automatically with the length of the page, so I can do metal chain, or lace or whatever. I have done this before, but I cannot for the life of me remember how to do it in Xara. If it is something that can only be done in XDPro I have that, too, but the fun at the moment is playing with the responsive wd feature! (Gary P, in the old days this would be achieved in Fusion by putting tileable graphic in a cell and having it repeat, and latterly using Fusion's CSS. But I cannot remember how to do it in Xara. Sorry to be a pain.)

Thanks for all help, guys.

Ali

Default Re: Best way to make tiling sidestrips in Xara Web Designer Premium 10?

Thinking aloud. I can always make a wide tile that includes the side fancy bits. Just wondered whether there was any way to keep them as borders, restrained by the program as CSS.

Thanks.

Ali

Hey Ali

Did I hear my name?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do. Can you post a small example or sketch?

Probably the easiest way to do what I think you are asking is to uncheck Clip to Page Edges and extend your pattern off the page in each direction. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Re: Best way to make tiling sidestrips in Xara Web Designer Premium 10?

Hi Gary,

Summoned you up! Check out this very cute design by my ol' friend, and artist supreme, Miz Kitty Mead. http://bloomlovely.com/ I was thinking how could we do side bars like that lovely side lace, preferably which tiled downwards, so we didn't have to always be remembering the length of our pages. I have been able to do it with a wide but small depth horizonal graphic which spans the whole width of the web page. Maybe that's the only way to do it.

Hope you are well, and thanks for responding so quickly.

Ali

I'm doing well for an old dude. Hope you're well too.

OK. The floral background is a repeating tiling pattern.

The lace you could manually add to the page around the edges and un-checking Clip to Page Edges you could place a portion of the lace on the page and let it extend outside the page so you can see some of the background pattern through the lace.

I used Web Designer which does not have the ability to drop out the blue background in the lace pattern so I added a small amount of Mix transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blueroseused.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	101754  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Gary.

Thanks for considering it. At least I know I am not imagining things! I shall carry on making wide page backgrounds that tile, to make a border effect that grows with the page. I do like that we can shove things beyond the page, though, when needed.

Ali

In version 9 and 10 you can also turn a color pasteboard image such as this into a two color image and you can edit the colors.

There are background tiles that can be edited as well in the Designs Gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit background color.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	101767