Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Resolution - computer vs. Printer (person, not the device)

I might not be explaining this adequately, but I will try to do my best. If I seem to be going too far or if I seem to be too simplistic, please bear with me. When I first took a Xara file (exported as jpg) to a printer, I was told that it needed to be 300dpi. I told him the file was exported at 300dpi. He told me that it was still just 96dpi. After going over the different results (96dpi vs. 300dpi) when exporting files, I discovered that whether 96 or 300 dpi is selected the image quality is exactly the same - Xara always exports at what is, technically, for a printer, 96 dpi. What Xara does when, 300dpi is selected, is merely export a larger version of the 96dpi, but it does not actually change the resolution. The detail of the image is never actually improved, it is always just 96dpi, it is simply larger, which is technically not 300dpi.

People sometimes don't really get what I am trying to say, so I will take it a little farther. I am not trying to be patronising, just trying to make sure my point is clear. If I have a file that is 1" x 1" and I export it at 96dpi, it will be exported as 1" x 1", but if I export at 300dpi, it will be exported as a significantly larger image, but it will still have the same resolution, in other words, the detail will not be improved at all. Whether a 1" x 1" image is exported at 96dpi or 300dpi, it should still be 1" x 1".

To put it another way, when Xara exports an image at 300dpi, it is not increasing the "dots" per inch, it is increasing the "inch", which is not improving the resolution or the detail of the image at all - it is still 96dpi. The only way I can get a file exported at true 300dpi, it must be exported as a PDF at 300 dpi. This, in my opinion is an unacceptable flaw in Xara P&GD.

This problem is not limited to printing; even images for computer or web use do not appear as clear and as detailed as those created with Photoshop. Small text or fine lines come out poorly, as compared to those from Photoshop. Photoshop does not have this problem, Adobe understands the difference between computer resolution and resolution as interpreted by people in the printing industry.

So Xara, PLEASE make the necessary changes. Otherwise, purchasing an upgrade to another version of Xara P&GD will be a waste of money for me. The fact that a file within Xara can be magnified 25,000 times with perfect clarity is of no consequence when the file exported is blurred when magnified twice. It is still rubbish compared to the clarity of an image produced with Photoshop.

Default Re: Resolution - computer vs. Printer (person, not the device)

decide what size you want to print it at

make sure your drawing is created at that size in your workspace

make a bitmap copy at 300dpi within the program

export this at 300 dpi

read manual - learn how program works [ hint: not like photshop on account of it not being photoshop, 'an all]

Dpi is for printing and dpi aware programs just give you a scaled view of that image in respect to dpi size. It has no real effect to image quality and the actual pixel resolution is all that matters. Dpi value can be changed for the image and it will not change the actual image at all as it is only a number.

Yes

I think aurelias meant the increase in print quality when you 'increase the dpi', but as you say dpi is only a ratio between the image size [defined in pixels] and the print size - you increase the dpi you decrease the print size for a given image size, 'cos that's what dots-per-inch means - you can actually see that reflected in photoshop when you change the image dpi; you can change both as well and I reckon the simplest way to understand how to do that in xara designer is to do what I mentioned in the post above

I am not sure what the problem is regarding the web stuff, but I don't do web myself - some examples posted up in the web designer forum would help to pinpoint any issues, I feel sure it's not that the program can't do it as well as photoshop, just that something is being overlooked...
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 April 2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: grammar

This may seem obvious but first the image that you want to be 300dp has to be at least 300dpi to begin with. Select the image and the resolution will appear in the lower left corner of the window.

And make sure when you export your image that you select 300dpi from the drop down list. The default setting is 96dpi and this could well be your problem. See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300dpi.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	101452  

Can I ask if the work is from vector or is it from an an image that your'e exporting from? If it is an image when you bring the image in and it is selected what does the info bar state at the lefthand bottom of the page. No if your work is vector then what Handrawn has suggested is the correct way to do it using "bitmap copy" although you could export it as a .tiff file. The TIFF format is better for print than jpeg as this has RGB info embedded with it giving out of gamut colours as well as the incorrect size. Now if I was in your shoes and wanting to export an vector drawing as an image I would export it as a PDF and forget jpeg. I would do the same for also a bitmap image but please remember that scale up any image loses quality that's why I asked "what does the info bar state" as it will tell you the DPI of that image.
    Design is thinking made visual.

yep I was assuming it was vector - the bottom line is: the source must be big enough before the export to cover all eventualities...