Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photo pop-up Problem

Okay, here's the issue (and as always, thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide!):

I don't care for the effect that comes out of any of the current photo gallery widgets that come with WD9P. So I experimented a bit, and discovered that creating a pop-up layer from each image on the page that referenced ANOTHER layer with the complete photo-set selected as a pop-up series of images with captions worked great--except for one problem; the slideshow that results from this setup also shows the other images on the page--even if they're on a different layer.

Overall, the pop-up layer look with captions is the effect I was looking for. But I cannot figure out how to NOT include the other images/photosets on the page when the pop-up layer is activated, even if those images are on other layers.

I'm completely open to suggestions.

However, I can tell you that the photo widgets just don't deliver the result I"m looking for. Nivo doesn't, either. Ideal would be the Gallery Slideshow 3 Column with captions. But it doesn't exist, that I know of.

So...please help, if you can! Thank you all again!

P.S. You can see my "experimental page" on the site I'm building here:

http://ihatesnakes.com/collectionfigures.htm#

Default Re: Photo pop-up Problem

If you mean the thumbnails strip below the photo then you can disable this, in the popup section of web properties are the 'Gallery Options', uncheck the 'show thumbnail strip at bottom of pop up'.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    If you mean the thumbnails strip below the photo then you can disable this, in the popup section of web properties are the 'Gallery Options', uncheck the 'show thumbnail strip at bottom of pop up'.
    Hi, Gary:

No, sorry if I wasn't clear.

If you visit the page and pop up the images, then click on one of the images that pops up, it becomes a slide show with the controls. The problem is, the slide show includes every image on the page. I can't restrict it to a particular set, no matter where they are located within the page (layer, position, etc.).

The really confusing part is that there is no consistency to it. The other night, I had it working on two sets. Only the images in the specified sets would shop up in the pop-up. Then I tried it again, and suddenly all photos showed up in the sets. I"m not sure if it's a layer issue, or what the problem is exactly.

How did you know I was going to answer. (sketch helped you, not Gary)

There is a much better way to do this.

Create new layers for each larger image. Put each image on its own layer and name your layers accordingly.

Link your thumbnail images to the appropriate layers. (Website Properties > Link > Show Pop-up Layer). (I used this technique here http://www.placitasartists.com/t_perkins/)

You can also use Website Properties > Mouse-over > Show Pop-up Layer. I like this method because there is no clicking required. The visitor mouses over the thumbnail and the pop-up instantly pops up and as soon as the visitor mouses away from the pop up it disappears.

Yes, Sketch did...So thank you to Sketch AND Gary, originally.

Boy, attention to detail is a valuable skill. I'll try it!

That said, I've already tried the layer approach. The problem with mine, as opposed to your site, is that one thumbnail needs to pop up more than one image.

When it does, that results in the other images on the page being included in the pop-up for the individual thumbnail. Why they're automatically associating, I don't know. Therein lies the problem...

You might need to add a solid background to the layers behind the image to mask the other layers.

Okay, I've experimented some more and now I realize the principal problem.

Even when I put the additional images on a separate layer, that only works if there is only one layer of photos on the page. If I have, say, 8 items on the content page, and they're linked to additional layers as pop-ups, then only the top-most layer will be visible when the image on the content page is clicked.

In short, Xara does not give precedence to the pop-up over the layer order. If there are other layers on top of a pop-up it will not show on the main content page.

So I'm back to square one.

What I'd REALLY like is to alter the Gallery Slideshow (3 col) widget to include captions. Any suggestions?

Okay, I think this can be considered a closed topic. I discovered that layers must be created in a certain way, in a certain location, to allow the effect I was looking for. I still cannot use the slideshow controls in the pop-up images without including the other image sets on the page; but that's a minor concession in light of getting the basic functionality I want in place.

Anyone who's curious can visit the page here:

http://ihatesnakes.com/collectionfigures.htm

It's not a perfect solution, but it works for me for now. Thanks again to everyone who gave it some thought and made suggestions!

Richard
    IHateSnakes.com