Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: January 2014 Video Tutorial : Drawing Plastic and Chrome What's the Diff?

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    Well guys this is as far as I've got with the tut. but will have ago at the next stage of inserting the chess floor image into a drawing. If you were drawing a room with walls, ceiling and floor would you see in the chrome drawing the two walls, ceiling and floor plus whatever was facing front on to the sphere? I mean like another wall with a door perhaps ? :rolleyes:

Stygg
    Stygg, you're being too literal with my instructions. Don't follow my example to the letter—your reflections are a little too details, when the emphasis should be: sky at top, horizon in the centre, and ground on the bottom. There is no single formula for drawing metallic spheres, and I'd suggest you concentrate on the metallic and take a pass on doing the plastic version for the moment. I think I overwhelmed some members with Too Much Information (TMI) :(.

Let me back up and provide some more examples. I did this years ago; a chrome logo for The Administrator and me. I've attached the Xara file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Boutons in Chrome.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	100478

You see, it's all about "sky on top, grounds on bottom", at least this is one tried and true visual solutions. I have a friend Rod Norman who taught me how to draw this stuff with makers in the 1970s and I'm pleased that I even came close to the work by Airbrush Genius Charles White III.

This might have been in the Xara Xtreme Official Guide; I don't recall. You can see the entire process in the attached file.

Name:	Chrome ball from the Guide.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	100479

And here's another volley of "chrome versus plastic":

Name:	more-chrome-and-plastic.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	100480

The interesting thing is that if you take the eyedropper tool and sample what appears to be the red herringbone reflection in the bottom of the green plastic sphere...it's not red, although it looks that way, doesn't it? Optical illusion: it's olive colored!

@stygg—you've demonstrated time and time again that artistically, once you "get it", you understand the essence of an artistic principle, you fly, man...you fly. So take it slow and easy with the chrome, remember "sky, horizon, and then ground", and let's see what you cook up, okay?

@ csehz-You are soon going to become a Professor at Xara Academy! (we actually registered the domain name a few months ago, but there's nothing there right now). I love your approach to the tented studio reflections!

@ Maya—I think I'm going to ask you to be the Featured Artist at XaraXone this Spring. Get your portfolio together, okay? I'm serious: you draw hit after hit like a good FM station!

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files