Corel currently has for CorelDraw Suite x6, 4 buying models.
1. Buy cd
2. Buy from download
3. Buy cd/download + 100$/year for premium membership (cloud and early access to new features)
4. 100% subscription for 200$/year with cloud and early access to features

This is far from what adobe has done with CC. Its also not microsoft of buy or subscribe. Corel is the only one I know that offers this many buying options or a buy + subscription. The price is not crazy like CC. Upgrades for Draw are 200$ and new editions about every 2 years which is the exact same for 2 years of buy + premium and not too different from 100% subscription if you include the initial buy price. The access to new features is early access and is being given to all in time as we have seen.

Corel has with though x6.4 upgrades had updates FREE to all. About 1/10 of the updates for Draw are premium only. The fact that they are giving free significant updates which are more like mini upgrades away for free says a lot about the direction they are taking. They are not trying to squeeze every penny from its customers as CC is. They are giving away with x6.4 40 free fonts and premium is only 23 more. Im in graphic design and that is money in the bank. Consider a font can cost up to 100$ or more. This is the opposite direction of business to adobe who gives you nothing for free. I was shocked when I first saw corel gives away free mini upgrades. This is also part of corels answer to CC. Adobe said it could never do upgrades quickly and corel shows you can do effective meaningful mini upgrades a few times a year to keep up with what is new. Assuming the free updates are for the current edition this encourages people to keep buying the current edition as they know it will stay current with all the mini upgrades. It is an alternate way to do CC while still keeping your perpetual license and not paying any more for it.

Im a new corel user and am very impressed by them. This is one reason im willing to pay a bit more for corel than some companies because they are giving away mini upgrades. Again I know of no one else who is giving away free upgrades to their none free product and corel has not just been doing this the last 1 year but longer than that showing its not just some fad in direct response to the May cc issue. Not sure when/if corel will do a premium for its other products but it seems they are testing the water to see how people react and see if it is a good decision. Ive heard 0 complaints about premium membership and hundreds about CC. Im not even talking pricing or issues Im just talking about technical issues of CC having massive problems. I suspect corel will do a premium membership for its other big products as said Painter and Paint Shop with time. I see no down side to keeping license and paying for premium for the same upgrades I probably would have gotten for the same price but earlier.

Check this link to see the Draw updates. It lists what is premium membership only and its very few of the features.
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...od4260069#tab7