Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: August 2013 Tips and Tricks: Mapping Text to Wafting Fabric

Because this discussion thread has been all over the place, including the merits and/or disadvantages of editing images using vectors, I thought I'd add to the "diversity" of this thread by mentioning a plug-in that comes with Xara (32x)—The Alien Skin Xenofex 2 Demo—which is a demo because it only includes three filters from their entire Xenofex suite, but they do work without watermarking or anything.

Now, I've not run this example through to completion, because it would take more calculations to figure in "shrinkage" of an image area when you apply the Crumple filter. The crumpled are in this image should extend to the edges of the bag, but they don't, but I know for sure anyone can invent a workaround.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crumple filter.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	98389

I've done three stages of the transformation in the attached file to show you how I approached it. I traced a face of the bag, selected the bag and the image and then performed the Slice Shape operation. Then I used the Shape tool to select the control points of the hole in the underlying image and deleted them to make the photo whole again, with an overlying section. I grouped the text and the clipped image and then used the Xenofex Crumple filter.

I think this has possibilities in future assignments. Instead of photographing a crumpled bag, you use a pristine one, add text and then crumple it via a filter.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files