Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WD8P and multilingual website. How to UPLOAD properly ?

Hi folks. Let me be clear..

Q: How to manage the posting of a multilingual website on WD8P ?

What I did :

Took a standard template and modified it to create the first version of the website ( in Brazilian Portuguese ) .
    Then, made a complete copy of the same website in a different project file and translated the whole thing to ( US English ) .

I've renamed the files in the ENGLISH website to start with a prefix en_<file name> , so they look like en_index.htm,
    en_contact.htm, en_sale.htm and so on, in this case their wouldn't be a clash of one set of files overriding the other one when
    uploading them.

Now, How do I go about publishing the two set of pages without them getting in the way of each other ?
    Do I need to use a sub-folder setting on the website properties dialog in order to keep the pages in separate directories ?
    I have the same menu structure for both versions of the websites since I've made a direct copy of each other, so not sure if
    dropping them all in the same top level directory is a good idea.

For those folks that have already done this, could you provide your feedback on how to proceed from here so that I don't end up trashing what is already up and running at www.saoluisimoveis.com/ ?

Your thoughts, concerns and comments and constructive criticism are all very welcome.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Rom..
    Last edited by ralbuque; 19 July 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: WD8P and multilingual website. How to UPLOAD properly ?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Rom

Here is how I do this. Create a folder, in this case english. Publish the English version to this folder with the file name index.htm or index.html.

For your main website, link to the English version websitename.com/english From the English version, link to the Portuguese site websitename.com.

Hi there. First of all, I would like to thank you for your quick response and also to apologize for the delay on my end on replying to this message. I've given this a try locally, exporting the website to the local HD on the PC inside the "english" sub directory and it all works fine as you mentioned. Now, the problem is uploading to the magix server.. When I go through the process of adding the sub directory "english" to the web publishing options dialog, then saving all the settings. I then try to upload the website after exporting the whole thing to the disk locally, then I get an error message that halts the upload in WD8P, it says that "english" sub directory doesn't exist. That's true, I've logged in to the magix server and once logged in I can see the "control center". None of the options there allow me to create a sub directory. So my friend. How do I go about creating a sub directory named "english" branching off my domain name like this www.saoluisimoveis.com/english ? My assumption is that WD8P would pass a message up to the FTP server to create the sub directory at the time of upload, but this doesn't look like is what actually happens..

Your responses are greatly appreciated..

Many thanks.

--rom

I would do it this way. Create your Portuguese site, and create your English site. No need to change the file names because one of the sites will be in its own sub directory.

When you are informed that the English sub directory does not exist, are you given the option to create a new sub directory? If yes, then say yes, and publish your English version into the new sub directory.

If not, then you need to manually create the sub directory. Some web hosts have a web based panel you can use to copy files and create folders. Otherwise you can use an FTP program like Filezilla to create the folder. Then publish to that folder. This will vary depending on how you publish to your web host's servers.

Hi there, once again, thanks for your advice. I got FileZilla and created the sub-directory just fine, then tried to upload the entire English version of the website with WD8P, that timed out 4 times stopping the upload process in about 40% of the way every time. So, I've moved the files there manually with FileZilla. That worked just fine, at least with FireFox since this is the only browser that I have tested so far, but in general, it worked fine. Many thanks for your input and ongoing help.

Be well.

Your friend..

--rom.