Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick site

Default Re: Quick site

Yes I estimated around that these sites for you becomes slightly a routine and you create them so fast. Probably your are equipped so much already with start templates and best practices

Maybe the applied white space is a little bit big for me in this case, not sure anyway, maybe it adds to the simplicity of the design

i am a firm believer in plenty of white space
    it's easy on the eye and makes a site so much easier to read
    in my opinion, anyway
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

It is a nice, clean site and you are most accomplished in designing such sites. It is amazing that you whipped this up in under an hour! Your signature style really works for all the business sites you have shown here but I find that it is not really suitable for a restaurant as it looks a bit impersonal (if that is the right word).

I disagree Boy, the fact is I have seen so many restaurant sites with things like endless galleries, dark backgrounds and stories about the head chef and stuff and they are just great big lumbering sites, in fact I have done the sort of restaurant websites you are thinking about in the past but when looking at the analytics for them you will find that the home page, contact page and the menu page are the only ones which get a look in. Think about what you would look for in a website (in terms of information) and if you strip away all the superfluous stuff then you are left with the essential information as found on this site - for instance on the home page there is the information on a free function room, the fact that they have a 5start hygiene rating, their opening times, the booking number and a little bit about the place, and that is all that is needed.

I think it has to do with the level of restaurant perhaps, if I was designing for a michelin 3 star restaurant it would be different but for a small restaurant for which 50% of the takings are made up of takeaway orders you have to be precise and to the point.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

I disagree Boy, the fact is I have seen so many restaurant sites with things like endless galleries, dark backgrounds and stories about the head chef and stuff and they are just great big lumbering sites, in fact I have done the sort of restaurant websites you are thinking about in the past but when looking at the analytics for them you will find that the home page, contact page and the menu page are the only ones which get a look in. Think about what you would look for in a website (in terms of information) and if you strip away all the superfluous stuff then you are left with the essential information as found on this site - for instance on the home page there is the information on a free function room, the fact that they have a 5start hygiene rating, their opening times, the booking number and a little bit about the place, and that is all that is needed.

I think it has to do with the level of restaurant perhaps, if I was designing for a michelin 3 star restaurant it would be different but for a small restaurant for which 50% of the takings are made up of takeaway orders you have to be precise and to the point.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

I understand that you disagree, Skech, otherwise you would have probably designed this site differently. It is just feedback by a possible customer to such a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    ... in fact I have done the sort of restaurant websites you are thinking about in the past ...
    I was not really thinking about any type of website and certainly not one that would be big, dark and/or verbose. I like it that the site is clean but there is something about the implementation of it that does not sit well with me (pun intended .

Perhaps it is a combination of factors. For instance, I find that the pictures of dining patrons do not really go well with the surrounding texts, graphic elements and colors. For a place that would only do takeaway orders the style might be perfect but for those who would like to dine out the site might give them the impression that the restaurant might be a bit too 'cold or distant'.

skech great web design, love seeing all your web sites

Another great design by skech! I do like the idea we can 'knock up' a website so quickly, and I have proved it to myself how it can be lucrative. I have had people just talk to me about websites and what is involved etc, without any suggestion of asking me to actually design one for them, but I have taken the hint and quickly created a couple of options to show my now potential clients and I have gotten orders this way! Xara is amazingly fast and it can give you the edge if you want to get in quickly with a modern-looking website.
    With regards to this restaurant site, just how do you keep the text so perfectly lined up in the menus? With the menus being so clean and white, just one extra space would be easily seen, but it is just great.