Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Terminology - newb

Hello again. Being new to web design, i'm not sure how to search for different "objects" or gadgets i see on web sites that i'd like to incorporate.

EXAMPLE: My business is distant learning and i operate in 49 states. I'd like one of those pull down menus so a customer can view his/her state specific
    requirements. I just don't know if its in the Xara gallery, what its called, etc.

appreciate any help with this particular item and any other suggestions regarding the use of these objects in web sites to help with navigation, etc.

thanks

rich
    Louisiana

Default Re: Terminology - newb

Widgets or gadgets and the pre-built modules you are referring to Rich. But for what you are referring to I think you will need to connect to a data base. This is not something that Xara is very good at but there are some workarounds. Maybe some of the other members will have a suggestion or two.

Rich, are you just wanting to create a drop-down list that you can populate yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Rich, are you just wanting to create a drop-down list that you can populate yourself?
    Yes PAUl. I was able to find an html drop down box that i imported to Xara. i put all the code in the Placeholder body and head.(or it was put there for me) It shows on my "view web page in browser" but
    I need to have each state linked to a document i'll create that has specific information for each state. So if a counselor clicks on AL - it will take them to information on Alabamas counseling regulations.

ALTERNATIVE SOUGHT: If this is not a simple fix, here's what i'm looking for. Quickly, I provide distance learning in 49 states. Each state has different requirements and/or a web site.
    I wanted to have this drop down box be the vehicle, but it that is too difficult, how about any kind of pop up text or ballloon with text in it. If someone clicks on an object for CALIFORNIA, a popup will give
    them the required information they need about taking my trainings.

I looked briefly at the "Link" options but i'd be trying to link the STATES to perhaps a document I'll create that has the state specific requirements. OR if i can do a pop up text box, that'd be great.
    i hope i'm being clear with my needs.
    this is a pretty neat program and perhaps i'm jumping the gun, but this page i'm working on has alot of material. thanks fellows

I think Gary has already suggested a workable solution in this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...website-design , post #7 .

I'll quote it below. Item 1, would be the first state and then you need the link to be to a page holding the appropriate info.

Paul

-----

OK, this is from the Xara Whisperer (who happens to live at Xara Users)

But a simple drop-down menu list is done like so:
    <!-- Copy and Paste this code into the (HEAD) of Website tab -->

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!-- Begin
    function jumpBox(form){
    var URL =
    document.form.site.options[document.form.site.selectedIndex].value;
    window.location.href = URL;
    }
    // End -->
    </SCRIPT>

<!-- Copy and Paste this code into the (BODY) of a Placeholder -->