Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP2

I received my CD today. Anything I need to know about installing it. Rich
    IP

I received my CD today. Anything I need to know about installing it. Rich
    IP

Hi Rich,

Installation is fairly straight forward, simply follow the prompts. Be sure to log onto the PC with an account that has Administrator rights if you bought the PC with XP already installed this would also be the default log in. If you have autorun enabled for your CD ROM it will auto start. After the install you will notice some changes in Internet Explorer if you use it. Security has been tightened, some of your favorites may need to be added to the Trusted Site Zone. If you have a home network you may also need to enable some ports in the Windows Firewall for some network admin functions to work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks Bill,

I never log in with admin rights. And, I have no idea how the system was set up. I had dog watch while Laura received the system. No problem updating, however. Everyhhing is doing fine. Thanks again. Rich
    IP

I have heard conflicting reports about SP2.

I am reluctant to install it, as my comp works just fine, (I reformat at least twice a year).
    I also use the firewall that comes with XP Pro so I can't see the point in installing it.

If anyone has a good argument why I sould install SP2, I would like to hear it. Thanx
    IP

Hi Stevie,

To be totally honest, I don't know of a reason to install SP2. The security updates it contains are available individually. The changes to Internet Explorer and the change from Internet Connection Firewall to Windows Firewall are not necessarily good or bad. They appear to be made for the average home user (the people that buy a PC because everyone else has one, but doesn't bother to learn anything except how to play solitair and check email). It implements maximum security so the PC can't be used melicously by some cracker on the internet. Anyone that uses a firewall and reasonable caution surfing the web can do without the changes.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I only reason I installed it at home, was I got tired of the stupid intall me icon in my system tray. I couldn't even shut it off and tell it to go away. so I installed it.

The only problem I had so far was SP2 installed that forking Ms messenger again, but I did get rid of that nasty icon and MS messenger too.
    IP

i installed it and my computer runs a little better. i am using a wireless network and it offers more support for that. also for anyone still using internet explorer it fixes alot of the security issues and installs a pop-up blocker. (i only use IE for my work as they dont support any other browser, other than that i use Firefox. My brother-in-law had problems with lock ups and he uninstalled sp2 and it is running fine.

it does have annoying reminders if you dont shut it off it will keep popping up ballons to say your computer isnt protected by a firewall or antivirus . i am on a router so no need for a firewall, but sp2 doesnt recognize it.

so i have no valid reason to use it or not to use it.

just my 1/2 cent worth
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com
    IP

Hi Mikey,

Firewalls only keep out script kiddies. (90%) The other 10% will take another 10 minutes to get into your computer. The only safe 'puter is a dead one.
    IP

Actually, Microsoft will be disabling the feature that we use to prevent installing in the future. Currently, the target date is April 2005. At that point, you may have the update installed whether you wish it to or not if your computer is connected to the internet. I don't know how they can legally do this, especially if it causes computers to crash or not operate.

Myself, I have personally installed it on five computers with no issues. Four were accomplished using the download and one using the CD I requested from Microsoft. It arrived in less than one week from ordering and is totally free.

I do know of one person who had problems, but we did a restore and then tried again with no problems.

IF you decide to install, FOLLOW the directions. Ensure you have a GOOD backup before starting and ensure you have run a good spyware tool to remove the malicious stuff.

Ensure your backup can be installed onto a bare computer, you may need it in a worse case scenario.

Good Luck!

Will try to find article where it states Microsoft will be forced installing and post link here.

By the way, those annoying balloons, I found a way to disable them. My firewall is not detected by Windows, and I do not use the Windows firewall, plus I am also behind a router, but my firewall has detected a few that slipped past the router. (Not the Windows Firewall, it seems to be worthless to me.)
    IP