Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: March 2013 Video tutorial: Creating Neon and other Noble Gases

@stygg—

I'm very, very pleased you're getting into this and exploring.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is such an important topic—balance—that I might re-post this later if the topic comes up again.

Like most things, “balance” is an equation best approached artistically in degrees; there’s “balance” in a symmetrical composition, but I personally feel this gets old real quickly if all your compositions are balanced in a traditional way all of the time. “Balance” can also be achieved by taking contrary items and making them live together in a single composition. I’d mentioned the calm Mona Lisa contrasted against the very active waterfall behind her earlier as a method DaVinci used to create dynamic tension in the painting the longer the audience looks at it.

You’ve hear of “opposites attract”? Well, that’s both a domain of Balance and of Contrast! I’ve got an image here with two compositions. Now, which one is more visually interesting and why? The one at left has two equally sized circles of the same color, aligned horizontally, and you know what? Big yawn here, as far as Art goes. It’s balanced, but we can do better, as in the image at right. There are contrasting shapes living dynamically within one composition. Blue contrast with red, large contrasts with small, upper left opposes lower right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balance.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	95391

I think the photo I donated that you’re working with has good balance and contrast. The large squarish building at left, the tall skinny cactus at right. The asymmetry of the elements is interesting.

My point is that balance and contrast shouldn't be completely in agreement or necessarily harmonious, unless it’s your intention to create a relaxing, boring home wallpaper that no one studies. Sometimes balance is a struggle; elements fight each other, and you know you have a dynamic piece of Art when the elements don’t resolve the fight in the piece, but continue in interesting opposition.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 05 April 2013 at 06:11 PM.