Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Renaming index page?

Hi everyone. I have one more newbie question. How do I, or can I rename my index page? While watching Champs videos, he said not to rename the index page. Not sure why he said that, but my page shows up on "Favorites" toolbar as "Index" instead of my website name. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about so it makes sense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	94554

Default Re: Renaming index page?

You can't change the index.htm name (the first page of your site must remain 'index'), but you can change the page title in Web Properties>>Page>>Page Title.

This title is what will show in favourites and browser tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    You can't change the index.htm name (the first page of your site must remain 'index'), but you can change the page title in Web Properties>>Page>>Page Title.

This title is what will show in favourites and browser tabs.
    sledger, this might not be the correct post to disagree but you can rename your index.htm to anything. When working with SharePoint, I had to alter the index page filename as the generated index_htm_files folder was accepted but then hidden, making explanations to owners much more problematic. If you rename index to fred, you then a get fred_htm_files folder.

The good bit: this means you can nest multiple sub-sites into the same top folder to keep the same navigation bar and links so you can then cut and paste between different Xara source files with impunity in support of the one site. This can avoid sub-folders.

If you have .htaccess permissions, you can redirect index.htm to any other filename of your choosing.
    If you don't then your site will still work with http://<site name>/fred.htm as an explicit link.

Acorn

I concede to your scenario.
    Generally speaking however, the first page in your site should remain index.htm (and renaming it to anything else in a multi-page website will summon forth a warning from Web Designer! )

However, all in all - the OP isn't really talking about this, what he needs is the title of the page (not the name of the page file) to show in favourites or browser tabs...
    to this end, the instruction I offer will sort it

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sledger, it worked perfectly. That was the last thing I needed to get this site the way I wanted it. And Acorn, I appreciate your input as well, but you went way above my head with what you are talking about. Me are pritty dumb when it comes to coding and what not, lol. But thank you very much just the same. I don't know what folks like me would do without you guys here helping us.
    Dave