Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Building a web site with P&GD 2013

OK, it's the Doofus again!

I was looking thru the help in the software and have found there's not a great deal of info on the web design side of P&GD's capabilities nor have I been able to find many videos dedicated to that function.

What I'm wondering about is this: In creating, say, a "core" site of about 20 pages, and I'm probably over-thinking this again, but is it better to just stick with the numerical naming convention for the pages or is it possible to name them according to their particular content (e.g. clerksdept.htm, highwaydept.htm, etc..)

I'm working on a template page now which I will use for all the subsequent pages. And the current site (here) is similar to what I'm going to do with the rebuild. I know it's not exciting but most of the residents here are seniors and others who don't have strong computer skills so I've tried to keep it as simple as possible.

Also, I converted the current site over page by page from CoffeeCup software using Xtreme 5 (I think?) and I'd like, for editing purposes at least, to have one file rather than 100 different individual pages to monkey with. I figure, also, that the overall file size will be smaller than all the separate pages, right?

Thanks again for indulging me....again!
    Doofus Mudd

Default Re: Building a web site with P&GD 2013

I'll call you Mr. Doofus if that is not too familiar.

You can name your pages anyway you like. I advise not leaving spaces between words. I prefer dashes or underscores.

Yes, having one website document rather than one document makes sense and that is how Xara is set up.

I would start this way. Create a new web page and format the page to your liking. Or you can work with any of the website template pages (Design Gallery). Then when you have the page the way you want it, duplicate the page as many times as you need. Name the pages in the Page and Layer Gallery. You can also rename them in the Navigation Bar Properties so the names work better with the buttons.

Xara can import the contents of a current web page. I am not sure about Photo and Graphic Designer but look in the File menu and see if there is an entry Import Text and Graphics from the Web. If so, you can use this feature to place the content onto each page (one page at a time). Or you can simply copy and paste the text from your current site into the appropriate pages. You should be able to drag the photos and graphics from your current site onto the desktop then drag and drop them into Xara.

This should keep you busy for a spell.

Default Re: Building a web site with P&GD 2013

Mr. Doofus is just fine! Thanks for the fast response and the info! I agree on the file naming convention. My current pages are as I listed above or "minutes_2013.htm" etc..

I'll check for the "Import Text" option you mentioned but I figured good old copy & paste would suffice. Also want to experiment with Magix Photostory or Movie Maker Pro (which I already own) for creating photo slideshows rather than using Photobucket.com, which has become too much of a hassle to deal with. We've got 5 GB of server space and not using nearly that so I figure the more I can keep "in-house" as it were, the better off we'd be.

Thanks again for the help!!