Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Private webpage, Users and Database

I've been looking at creating a blog. However I have too many unanswered questions to go ahead with what I've found so far.

As I already use XARA for my web page, so I thought I my start my 'book' as a web program rather than a blog.

I want to record my building of a race motorbike. Indexes with chapters would be better than a long daily blog.

Ok so the questions.

How do I validate and allow users to login. Where do I keep the register of users, how do I get the stats from visitors and how and where do I keep their comments.

I have setup a Ubuntu server at home but it is still in it's infant stage. I was thinking of using it. (I have a paid ISP for my work web page.)

I know there are a lot of Blog bits out there, but most of the people who are interested in what I'm doing are not on FB, Twitter etc

Thanks Wallace

Default Re: Private webpage, Users and Database

Wallace - I moved your post to the Xara Web Design Chat.

Xara is OK for most of this except the actual blog portion where you have visitors respond. You can use various third party solutions to create a log on solution, such as Coffee Cup Software's Website Access. And the simplest way for people to request access is for them to e-mail a request to join and you can add their name to your records and send them the password to enter the blog.

Google Analytics is free and can give you more information than you ever wanted or needed to know.

But in the end, you might be better off with something like WordPress or Google's BlogSpot and use Xara to design your graphics.

Default Re: Private webpage, Users and Database

I looked at Wordpress before writing this post, and if you follow the steps you end up with a blog which I did. I added text and a few pictures. However after a few hours of reading, I was still not sure what I had actually created, how users connect etc.

HTML Code:
    https://mbr250.wordpress.com/
    so I thought I might as well start from scratch. !!!

It is the hard way but I can use the experience to do other projects.

Is there a package like Xara that allows you to create blogs web pages that you can host on your own site?

Thanks Wallace