Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logo

Default Re: Help

We're not going to do it for you. You are going to have to learn to do it yourself.

Have you downloaded and installed the trial version? If not, do so.

In the Help menu, there is an option Movies. Click this option and you will be taken to the Xara site where you can watch some videos that explain the basics. Watch these videos and then try out some of the tools. There is a learning curve but it is not steep and with a bit of effort you will be able to convert your drawing into vector shapes.

But as I said, we're not going to do it for you. But we will be here to answer questions.

Default Re: Help

I don't think your design works to well in the first place, even knowing what it's supposed to say doesn't help much. That said Xara is a great program to create such graphics as can be seen on the attachment. (lighting arrows deliberately left in as we don't do things for people here, just encourage them to do it themselves).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	93457  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    Hello,

Can someone please help me out and create a graphic for me based off a sketch I made..
    This is the sketch: http://i47.tinypic.com/2rwoket.jpg

It says Dopehacks but the D is backwards, so is the o and p (the p overlaps the o a bit) then the e is backwards as well, Then there is the H which is linked to the E normally, A is normal C is backwards K is normal and S is normal...
    I personally find the sketch somewhat unreadable in its current state (even considering the graffiti motif that you're going for here), and am wondering what the design decision was behind making some of the letters backwards. The style is workable, but I think the letters would need to be adjusted a bit to make the whole thing more comprehensible before going to the "inking" stage.

Once that's done, as Gary suggested, the Shape Tool is your best bet. I use it to make straight line segments from point to point, then click and drag those straight line segments into curved line segments, and if necessary I will click on individual nodes to manipulation the control handles directly to get the exact curves I want. If there's a line that's really fiddly (such as a spiral), I'll click on a middle part of a line segments to create a new node, then adjust as necessary.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Yes you are right Steve

Now how about we get back to helping Jynx

As others have already pointed out the graphitti style artwork is unreadable. When doing a logo think simple. Some of the best recognized logos in the world are nothing more than simple shapes, think of a pair of golden arches in the shape of an M and you know which burger franchise I'm talking about

Take a look at the sample I've done below (note, I've watermarked it as this is about teaching not doing it for you)

I started by typing a lowercase d and h in times new roman, about 72pt. I selected it with the selector tool and converted it to editable shapes (arrange> convert to editable shapes) then ungrouped it (ctrl + U twice) this gave me two letter shapes to work with. For this example I selected the d shape and placed the cursor under the top middle selection handle til it became a double ended arrow and dragged it to the right to skew it. I made the d a bit bigger than the h and skewed the h downward. I brought the h to the front and used the contour tool to and gave the h a single contour (drag with the contour and set the number of steps to1 in the box on the info bar and hit enter) drag the white colour from the colour bar and when it says drop this colour to colour the contour at the bottom of the program window release the mouse button to make the contour white. The final step was to simply add the name Dopehacks in the same times new roman font.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dh_jinx_sample.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	93575  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Jynx are you still with us, departed, or has Soet made the logo for you?

I’m sorry to “step in” to someone else’s forum, oG, but I hope you’ll understand why, and it is with deepest regret that this area is down to one Moderator now.

I have soft-deleted the posts after Egg’s, because we went OffTopic after a member posted a solicitation to do work-for-hire—which is against TalkGraphics’ policy†—and the member’s post sparked a passel of remarks questioning what the name of a program that’s better than Xara‡ would be used for this proposed work.

Jynx, is there anything else you’d like to ask about how to design the logo? TalkGraphics has a lot of experienced members who are willing to make guiding suggestions and lead you to tutorials that can help you get where you want to go on your own with Xara Designer. I myself posted a video on the Xara Xone in March.

Not without a little irony at this time of year, TalkGraphics as a community prefers to teach a person to fish, rather than handing them one.

My Best,

Gary
    † The unofficial charter of TalkGraphics states that our mission is to provide a creative and technical exchange for the graphics community. There is no Jobs Listings area on the forum; tg members provide—and are encouraged to provide— information free of charge. We’re a volunteer organization.

‡ TalkGraphics hosts areas where software produced by The Xara Group and distributed by MAGIX are discussed. Additionally, areas have been created for non-Xara software, including CorelDRAW and Adobe products. You don’t see Corel Corp. or Adobe Systems supporting Xara, now, do you? Given this corporate largesse, it is the general concession of members that it is rude and against community spirit to fault or belittle the application or its creators with unsubstantiated claims.