Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Blur effects on logo text graphic

HI All,

I have inherited a site tempate, and am trying to change the logo to emulate the text already present on graphics on the site. The site is at http://www.orange-house.co.uk/test/Eat/. I have played with varying the shadow on the lefthand text image but it just can't emulate that on the right which was supplied with the site layout. I can't get the shadow to have the same soft blur as the text on the right. Can anyone advise?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Blur effects on logo text graphic

Hi Andy, Adjust your shadow by clicking and dragging with the shadow tool to pull it down and to the right a bit and then once you have the blur and transparency settings close to what you need click the arrow on the info bar and this will bring up a profile settings box you can adjust the two sliders to fine tune the shadow's edge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Andy.

I would just do it with two lots of text.
    One with a softer shadow and the other with a bit harder shadow.
    The softer shadow a bit further out than the harder one.

I've converted my text into shapes, in case you don't have it installed on your PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	93088  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks Rik and Angelize. I think I must have a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder.
    Angelize, I had already tried various approaches to replicate on the left habd text the same soft shadowing of the right hand text but just ended up with "balloon text" in the form of a horrrible halo, each time I tried to vary the shadow. Then at my whit's end I decided to post here, lol.

Rik thanks for your feedback. So you think it's ok just to leave as it is then with different softness of shadow? I expect the original image was made with PS, although whilst writing I just though... "Revamp both sets of text", which is the other option available, but I don't think I'll be able to get the nice, soft shadow present in the originals.... ho, hum.

From what I could see. The shadow starts off quite hard and darker near the next, and then softens and lightens as it goes outwards.
    I've done that before, simply by having two lots of text, or objects, with different shadows.
    Last edited by Rik; 19 November 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Which shadow type were you using Andy? It sounds like you may have a glow shadow instead of a wall shadow. I didn't check that when I looked at your file earlier and now I'm on my work account. Have you tried the profiles? Rik's method is also a good method.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hi Angelize,
    I was using the Wall Shadow. Not exaclt decide upon what I will do to resolve that iss, but I may just rewrite all the text and add the "unacceptable" shadow, although not my ideal scenario.

I'm trying to make the equivalent graphics from the site layout I posted, and also started to play with the "FREE" banner with the red "FREE". Using red text it all looks blotchy... pulling my hair out at this so far, and there isn't much left as it is, lol. And will be even less by the time I am finished. The green background isn't exactly the same as the original, as it lacks the grey/black at the corners of the rectangular background.

Another method to try: clone the text, make it black send it behind the coloured text offset it down and to the right as needed and use the transparency and feathering tools (and try the profile sliders on these tools as well) Here is a .xar of what I was able to come up with.

When you say your Red text looks all blotchy do you mean when exported? if so are you exporting to Jpeg? If you are exporting to jpeg solid reg will show jpeg artifacts. Export your text as png and it should come out crisp and clean.

Are you converting this template to a Xara website?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Angelize,

I changed the colour of text to green for the moment as the red looks quite terrible. The background to the graphic had a graded grren background so in a png this came out as distinct bands. The original red, which came with the site template, didn't have this problem.