Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

*sigh* lost again...

After using the Bitmap Tracer and inserting the objects, the fill colours do not end up in the name gallery because Xara treats them as local colours.

If I wan't to change a specific fill colour used by many objects - do I first need to change all of them, one by one, to a named colour?

Can't I somehow create a named colour from on of the objects - and "select all" of that specific colour and change them all in one shot?

I have only been able to select all of a "colour family?" all "shades?" after creating a named colour.

---> Is it somehow possible to select all object of an exact colour - without first manually assigning named colours to each of them?

Thanks for any help!

Regards
    Risto Klint

*sigh* lost again...

After using the Bitmap Tracer and inserting the objects, the fill colours do not end up in the name gallery because Xara treats them as local colours.

If I wan't to change a specific fill colour used by many objects - do I first need to change all of them, one by one, to a named colour?

Can't I somehow create a named colour from on of the objects - and "select all" of that specific colour and change them all in one shot?

I have only been able to select all of a "colour family?" all "shades?" after creating a named colour.

---> Is it somehow possible to select all object of an exact colour - without first manually assigning named colours to each of them?

Thanks for any help!

Regards
    Risto Klint

Someone please... help... me...

After using the bit map tracer - how do I change
    all object filled with a specifc shade of e.g green to the stadard named colour "Orange"?

If I have 100 objects with an identical colour fill - do I really need to change them one by one?

--> Marquee-selection is of no use when there are hundred of small objects - that you don't want.

--> Creating a named colour and using the name gallery affects all shades of that familly.

Can I somehow change the fill of all objects with an identical local color - in one shot?

Risto

Can it be done?

A simple yes/no answer would do - a "no" would mean that I could move on with my life.

A "yes" would mean more sleepless night reading help files - but atleast there would be hope.

Hiya Risto.

Well, it took a bit of investigation, but I think I've found a workaround for you.
    I haven't tested it extensively, but it worked on a couple of quick tests here.

1. Change your RGB units to percentage
    2. Write down the RGB values for the color you want to select.
    3. Export the Xara file as an .AI file
    4. Open up the AI file in a text editor (not a word processor, you need to keep it in ASCII text)

5. Look through the file for lines of the form :
    0.16 0.72 0.80 Xa
    The first 3 values are R,G, and B as a percentage of 1.0

6. Change the line to something like
    0.16 0.72 0.80 (dullcyan) 0 1 Xx
    i.e. add a name in parentheses (round brackets), and change the Xa at the end to 0 1 Xx

Note that the same color may appear several times in the AI file, and each line will need to be changed (get to know your text editor's search and replace functionality).

7. Save the AI file from the text editor
    8. Open the AI file in Xara X - you should now have a new named color (e.g. in this example, dullcyan) which applies to the objects of that color.

If you're trying to do it with non-traced Xara files with lots of local colors, the lines may be of the form :
    0.16 0.72 0.80 (_14058640) 0 1 Xx
    Where you only need to change the number in the brackets (and the underscore) to a name.

A bit of a kludge, but I can't see any other way.

Regards, Myles.

Wow!

Thanks for your effort! I don't know which is more work though... suffering through the manual labour of crtl+shift+a or do the editing.

I'm totally new to graphics programs - So, I'm wondering what the logic is to set it up the way it is?

Or is it possible that I'm the first one ever - to try something "insane" like that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In any case, thanks Myles!, I'll sleep better knowing that it wasn't just me...