Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WYSIWYG - not!

Default WYSIWYG - not!

I have done several sites using Xara and always have the same problem. I'm working on a new customer's site and really want to fix the problem since I'm not under a severe time crunch. When doing type, no matter what size I tell it to be, it ends up about 10 or 12 point. I have to constantly go to preview in order to get it to fit the spot I want it in. I have selected a specific point size and also tried using the style heading -- same results. Just purchased the upgrade to Xara and no change. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?? PC, Windows 7, 64 bit.

Thanks!

Default Re: WYSIWYG - not!

Got a link to one of the offending web sites?

For what it is worth, the concept of point size is a print concept. It really does not exist well on the web. Even with pixel sizes and ems used for text sizing, the end viewer's browser ultimately has control over the sizing.

As for point sizing, it will be interpreted differently in various browsers (Safari, Chrome, IE et al) and well as different versions of those browsers. And there is absolutely no way you are going to "measure" point size on your monitor.

Xara's wysiwyg applies to layout. That it does fine under most browser configurations.

Take care, Mike

That was quick -- thanks!

OK, I think I understand what you are saying about the pt. size for type, but what about when I'm in Xara and it takes up a specific amount of space, but when I go to preview it doesn't take up the same amount of space. Very difficult to keep jumping back and forth with preview. The ones I had trouble with this past year I managed to get it to look correct. The one I'm working on now hasn't been published and won't be ready for a week or so ... but
    I have a logo on the left and a picture on the right. There is text in between and I have to let the text run well over into the picture on the right in order for it to look OK in the preview. Even though in Xara the type is covered by the picture, the preview shows it OK. Is there a way to send that to you without it being published?

I really appreciate the help!

Hi Kitty,

Can you upload a single page example file? I cannot reproduce it here.

One thing to look at is to select the text and look at the percentage info in the Aspect box. Does it say 100%?

Now, I don't have Web Designer 7 which is what your profile shows. I have XDP and so I am uncertain what features (like above) are available. But a quickie sample file would help.

Take care, Mike

Here is a screen shot of what I see...

Another thing...Are you using web site safe fonts?

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Designer Pro X - Internet Explorer Preview.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	92164  

I've been using Xara's export to HTML since Xtreme5 and frankly Xara has never disappointed me as it seems it has you. I am regularly satisfied with its text layout. Without a page to look at this is very difficult to diagnose.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I am using web safe fonts. I could attach the screen shot if I could find out how to attach it; PLUS most times when I'm trying to reply or send something to this bulletin board, it makes me go back because it can't recognize me and I have to sign in again ... Making me nuts! Tell me how/where to send the screen shot, please. The last time I went to "go advanced" and it dumped me out again. And again I got ... You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again. Just did it again. At the top of the screen, it knows who I am, but when I try "post quick reply" I get the above message

That would be frustrating! The only means of uploading screen shots is via the advanced button. You can link to images from the quick reply but they need to reside on the web already.

Hmm, how about I send you my email addy via the private messaging system? You could then simply email me the web file or a sample document and we can bypass your issues with the forum.

Take care, Mike

Oops. You cannot receive PMs yet due to the low number of posts.

email addy removed for anit-harvesting reasons...
    Last edited by mwenz; 13 September 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: removed address...

That would be great