Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Some sites being cut off on mobile phones.

I have two clients whose websites appear to be cutting off the left side when viewed on a mobile phone. Here are the sites.
    www.alertamericaar.com (this one is really bad)
    www.camoillusions.com (this one just cuts off the edge of the page)

I have a half dozen other sites and none of them do this.

Using Xara Web Designer MX Premium. We always use the 955 pixel page setting. Changing this setting has done no good.

Default Re: Some sites being cut off on mobile phones.

You need to create a separate site for mobile and you need to SIMPLIFY the site for mobile. It is not a question as to cutting off part of the page, it's a question of asking a visitor using a mobile device to do a lot of dragging and resizing to the view the all the content you have on the page.

For a mobile site your page should be about 480 pixels wide and your text should be 16pt and larger if you want it to be read. Buttons need to be large enough that the visitor can press them without having to zoom and out.

This size works better for a landscape orientation but will still require mobile viewers to do a bit of tapping to get the page to fit. And the next page will not automatically resize. So it is not perfect yet, but you do need to keep in mind the size of the mobile device screen and consider the time it takes without a WiFi connection to download content. This is why I say to simplify. Cut out anything that is not necessary.

Default Re: Some sites being cut off on mobile phones. Alert America security camera's help c

no assistance for the mobile problem i'm afraid, except to say Gary is right - mobile sites need to be radically simplified versions of the main site, otherwise it's not worth the bother

i just wanted to point out that you have a malevolent apostrophe lurking on the home page
    " Alert America security camera's help catch murderer "
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You need to create a separate site for mobile and you need to SIMPLIFY the site for mobile. It is not a question as to cutting off part of the page, it's a question of asking a visitor using a mobile device to do a lot of dragging and resizing to the view the all the content you have on the page.
    I'm sorry, but no, its not a question of a visitors issues with a site that is not mobile friendly. It IS a question of cutting off part of the page. (you did actually go to the sites I listed on a mobile device, right?)

I understand sites that are not created for mobile will entail the user to zoom and scroll. That is not the issue, the issue is as I have stated. The left side of the page is cut off. You can't zoom or scroll to see the left side of the page, it is gone, cut off, not there.

Update: We have just upgraded to Web Designer Pro. (Love Xara Products by the way). What we have found is that under 'Web Properties' --> 'Website' --> then down under 'Other'. we have checked the box for "Clip to page edges". This has made the homepage of alertamericaar.com all show up like its supposed to, but all of the other pages on the site still have the left side cut off. Checking this option does not seem to apply to all pages.

Help please !!

Not sure if this could be causing it but looking at the code on the home page of alertamericaar.com before the </body> there is the code:

<!--[if lt IE 7]><script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/png.js"></script> <![endif]-->
    <script type="text/javascript">xr_aeh()</script><![endif]-->

and on the other pages there is the code:

<!--[if lt IE 7]><script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/png.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">xr_aeh()</script><![endif]-->

but it should look like:

<!--[if lt IE 7]><script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/png.js"></script><![endif]-->
    <script type="text/javascript">xr_aeh()</script>

Not sure why it is like that, could it be a bug?
    Last edited by jamesd; 01 September 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks for looking but thats not it. The reason for the code your seeing the way it is can be explained here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...for&highlight=

Apparently I forgot to delete the original " <![endif]--> " from the home page code.

this is how i debug website display problems

1. open the site in xara
    2. delete all pages except one that you know is a problem page
    3. save it as "debug1.xar"
    4. export as html
    5. upload to server and review page for display problems
    6. if display problem persists return to Xara and remove one display element from the page
    7. go back to 4 above

not foolproof but works almost every time

where it doesn't work is where the source of the problem isn't the generated html/css
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

All pages are now showing correctly on my Samsung Galaxy :-)