Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Export to EPS problems

Thanks, Albacore and Marc! I think the PDF export, open in Illustrator, save as EPS route has been working pretty well. My dream was to find a one step conversion but I can live with the PDF to EPS solution. That keeps all my fills, transparencies, clips and feathers.

I think feathers are rendered in bitmap, at quite low (web) resolution.

Marc

This looks to be a somewhat older thread but I'd like to put in my 2 cents. I submit to about 15 agencies so I do have some experience in this area.

Depending on the stock site you will probably be asked to submit either Adobe eps versions 8 or 10. Version 8 does not allow "special effects" such as drop shadows, Gaussian blurs, or embedded bit maps. The acceptance of version 10 they have introduced some of these special effects. Basically, you need to read the rules of submission for wherever you are submitting these to as they do somewhat vary. If you are submitting a bitmap image only the eps rules don't apply.

What I do is 'simulate' transparencies with gradients (only two color gradients mind you) and shadows with blends (maximum of 5).

Recently, and the reason I am out here in the forum this morning is I wanted to export some older Xara files out to Illustrator. The last time I did this I was using Xara Xtreme and things work very smoothly. I now have Graphic Designer and am having all kinds of troubles exporting to a usable ai/eps file. Mostly gradient/color issues. I wonder what has changed?
    -Bill

To be honest Bill I think I am the wrong person to answer this as I am still using Design Pro 6 but as I work between AI and Xara, with my work stating it must be AI, I feel I like Mike here as we have the experience using both tools here to achieve our work flow. I can see nothing in the new version that should stop your work flow as I tried the new version for 30 days and it worked with my work flow when using Legacy 8, with as you say simple gradients, which come over as grouped shapes which has been the case I think from version 3.

Here comes the standard reply, "Could you post an example of your problem, so that we can help etc......"
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Albacore,

Since I rarely use Xara or Graphic Designer for my more serious work it's no big deal. I can figure this out. I can just throw this in the same category as issue we all have saving Corel files to Illustrator. It is just disappointing that it seems that Xara's export to Illustrator was much better than it is today. I know, things change and with all of the version of software that is out there it is bound to create challenges for the developers keeping up.

...mid-email update...
    While I am on the subject and since you asked: I did a test here on my office computer using Xara Desinger X trial and Illustrator CS3. Everything exported perfectly. So, I can only conclude that my problem may be with the latest version of Illustrator, CS6, which I have at home. Bummer.

yes - that is likely

the xara export filter is a bit long in the tooth and CS6 may not be importing it correctly by default; are there any options?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sadly no export option. I have saved my test files to a dropbox folder. When I get home tonight I will try opening them with CS6 and see what happens. Maybe I will find that my system was having a bad day and everything will once again be OK.

ok - I was thinking also of CS6 import options - that's on my other computer too - I'll have a quick look when I can
    Nothing lasts forever...

did a quick test with blends and gradients and it seemed ok [given illusrator mode RGB] - not transparency of course, but that's expected

I know the Xara AI import filters were recently upgraded, so maybe the export filters were too and it is just flounce at your end - but as albacore said without an example it can't be tested
    Nothing lasts forever...