Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Image importing problem

Using XDP8, I noticed that if I paste bitmap from the clipboard in many cases it becomes corrupted with jpeg artifacts. Is it a bug or a feature? I'm asking because it is very annoying to save bitmaps with another program and import it into XDP through the import dialog every time. From this prospective, XDP6 was much better. Can this "feature" be switched off through the settings somehow?

Default Re: Image importing problem

I've never experienced this Frip and I always drag and drop JPEGs and other bitmaps from my desktop or Windows Explorer.

Can you post a few of the images that are giving you problems so we can have a look.

Also, what is your view Quality setting?

When I import image from a file, XDP tends to ask whether I want to convert it to JPG or not. When I chose to use original bitmap, it works fine. But when I paste image from the clipboard, it converts image without asking.

Please see attached two images. I opened Firefox, pressed Alt + PrtScr, and past image into both Photoshop and XDP. I zoomed Xara, made another screenshot and saved it with PS - you can see JPEG artefacts around text labels and buttons.

By the way, I use "Very High Quality" rendering mode.

P.S. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine also complained about this bug. It seems that this problem is quite popular.

P.P.S. Forum engine also corrupts images so I uploaded files here:
    http://i.imgur.com/uDCuK.png - original screenshot saved with PS - no artefacts at all;
    http://i.imgur.com/GpUEe.png - screenshot, pasted into XDP8;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	91555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot_saved_with_ps.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	91556  

Last edited by Frip; 16 August 2012 at 04:47 PM.

To be honest, I use Greenshot for screen captures and it hooks into the normal print screen process. So the attached is captured by GS, copied to the clipboard and pasted in DPX and zoomed in to 400%. Then, captured again by GS inside DPX and saved out from it.

Uploaded here as a PNG.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frip.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	91557  

Old joke.

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I walk like this...
    Doctor: So, don't walk like this!

If the images import OK in the non-JPEG option, then import and don't paste.

It looks like the quality setting for the pasted JPEG is too low. And Xara's JPEG filter does poorly with reds especially. But I can see what you are referring to.

My advice is Import and do not paste from the clipboard.