Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default best methods for attaching text to objects in an org chart

Over the years, I've used a combination of Xara and MS Visio for business graphics -- Visio primarily for "boxes and arrows" work given the ease of typing text into any object.

I just spent a few minutes with my new version of Designer Pro X hoping that functionality might have been added and that I could finally eliminate Visio. I didn't see any new text-to-object function, but thought I'd ask here just in case.

I remember there is a way to attach text to a Xara object but couldn't find the instructions. If anyone has handy tips for using Xara for org charts and the like, I'd welcome your input.

Thanks,
    Dave
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Default Re: best methods for attaching text to objects in an org chart

Do you in the sense to create reusable org chart objects?

If so, add text in the font, size, style to the object, format the text to center justification. Center the text on the chart object and select both the object and text and group.

Duplicate each object as needed and change the text. To select and edit text in a grouped object, swipe over the text with the Text Tool to select it, and change the text as needed.

Thanks, Gary. What a resource you are!

If I create a text box and group it with a shape, then need to resize the shape as I'm building the org chart, the text resizes. I can select all of the boxes (shapes) after resizing and reset the font size, but it's one more step. Is there any way to resize the shape and keep the font size from resizing (as is the default in Visio)?

Also, if I make the text box the same size as the initial shape, the text sits at the top of the text box. Is there the equivalent of turning off Line Scaling for text?

Thanks!
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

I'm not sure, but in Designer Pro I think you can open the Name Gallery, locate the font, select it, and then change all the sizes globally.

Here is an example with expandable text blocks.

If you interactively select everything and drag a corner-handle, all should scale okay.
    If you enlarge the font by specifying an larger font size then some labels might word-wrap to another line of text; in that case you'd have to drag the margin indicators sideways with the text tool.

OrgChartwithSelfSizingBlocks.xar
    Last edited by jclements; 06 August 2012 at 06:01 PM.