Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Move objects via centre.

Is it possible to move an object by its centre and not the default origin of BLH corner?

I'm a CAD designer and I use XDP7 to accuratly register graphics to frontplates, but the current method of calculating the offset for each object is very tedious.

The selector tool info bar has a 9 square grid that a pop up says "Set Orign Position" but sadly this is for rotating only. It would be useful to toggle to colour of these squares to set both.

I know that XDP7 "knows" the centre of an object as the "Arrange" function uses it, but what I want to do is set an object origin to the centre and to be able to use the X Y "Position of Selection" numbers to move it.

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraObjectOrigin.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	90985  

Default Re: Move objects via centre.

Enable Snap To Objects.

Now drag an object over the object over which you want to it to be centered.

You will see some interactive feedback as various alignment points are reached.

In the case of centering, you will see two red dots as you get the two objects closer to being centered.

Bring move the top object until these two dots are centered and become one red dot.

Name:	center object.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	90987  

Thanks for the reply Gary.

I have been using "snap to object" using the "Guide" lines, but these are another entity that you can't place numerically.

The problem with being a Design Engineer is I/we are not use to the vagaries of using a graphics illustration package, as CAD packages give accuracy to several decimal places.

This is the only way I know how to do it. But then in the pre-computer days when I needed to center something, I made tick marks on a piece of layout bond on each side of the object then folded the paper in two to find the center. It was accurate to no decimal points but it worked.

Method One
    1- Draw one perfectly vertical line and one perfectly horizontal line on their own layer. That layer should always be the bottom-most layer.
    2- Use the info bar to position the vertical line to the desired X position and the horizontal line to the Y position.
    3- Draw or import your CAD data onto another layer.
    4- Set the Object Alignment default mode to "Bounds of back object".
    5- Select the horizontal line and the object needing to be aligned, then use the centering option on Object Alignment Dialog.
    6- Select the vertical line and repeat the alignment

Method Two
    Initial Setup: Windows > Control Bars > Button Bar. Alt-Drag the "Paste Position" icon/button to the Standard Tool Bar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PastePosition.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	91018

1- same as above
    2- same as above
    3- select a line and Ctrl-C (copy)
    4- select the object or objects that need to be aligned
    5- Click the Paste Position button.
    6- Repeat 3 thru 5 using the other line

Method Two probably is the fastest of the two.

Go to HELP and search for "paste" for further details.
    Last edited by jclements; 20 July 2012 at 02:44 PM.

I suggested this "Set Origin Position" long time ago, but as I can see it still not works as it should, like in InDesign or Illustrator. Instead of some kind of "work arrounds" as jclements suggests, it would be much easier if SOP gets another possibility beside rotation only.

Surely setting guide lines to the relevant position would best, they can be set numerically, you can then centre on the crossover of the guide lines.

Christine

Sorry Christine, it is another work-around. but changing "Set Origine Position" is the real answer.

Thanks for the replies.

@ jclements : I like your thinking, make your own guide lines, under your own control. Way to go!!

@ Petar_MK : I have struggled with this one for years. I knew I would not be the only one to meet this limitation.

@ Christine_Farrelly : "Surely setting guide lines to the relevant position would best, they can be set numerically"
    Unless it is a feature in Version 8 then all I can say is that XDP7 does not let you set guide lines numerically. Sadly its a case of 'push and pray' with guide line positions.

XDP7 allows you to set the position of a guide line, simply right click on the guide line and select Properties from the popup menu. You can then enter a precise value for position. Remember that a vertical guide line only has a vertical position and a horizontal guide line only has a horizontal position.

Name:	guidelines.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	91074  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update