Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default zapfhumnst bt - does anyone know where this font is from? Adobe? Word? Excel?

Hello everybody

zapfhumnst bt - does anyone know where this font is from? Adobe? Word? Excel?

how do i find out if i can use it for commercial?

thank you Frank

Default Re: zapfhumnst bt - does anyone know where this font is from? Adobe? Word? Excel?

i looked it up in my font folder it does say "True Type" or TT not shure what this means or where this font came from?

Default Re: zapfhumnst bt - does anyone know where this font is from? Adobe? Word? Excel?

also googled "TrueType" fonts list... there is a PDF list of fonts... does this mean its from adobe? if so adobe what? photoshop? cs3 or cs5 master collection.

thank you frank

Zapf Humanist is from the Bitstream font collection. Bitstream fonts are often bundled with many different software products. I don't know specifically, but I'm confident there is no use restrictions. True Type is a specific font format. The "TT" is just the file extension. True Type fonts are an outline, or vector font introduced in the late '80s, early '90s for use in Windows. They became the dominant font format over Adobe/Apple Type 1 or Postscript Fonts. Today, Open Type is the next generation of font format.
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

[QUOTE=but I'm confident there is no use restrictionsQUOTE]

i want to enter a contest but i need to be 100%... i dont want to be withdrawn... id rather just replae the font. or if i change the font to editable shapes and change some lines around does the font just become my graphic?

thank you graphics factory( Mike)

thanks Frank

In my opinion, you may be overly cautious. However, I do respect your desire for certainty. But, the task may be very difficult. First you would need to identify EXACTLY where your font file came from. Then, you would need to find and read the details of the user agreement that you agreed to when you loaded the software. Even then, the information you desire, may not be explicit. In that case, you would need to determine how owns the copy write of the digital font file itself. That info is often contained in the meta data of the file. You would need some type of font manager to find that. I use Main Type which allows me to view that info if it is in the file. If it is not, that in itself does not mean that it doesn't exist. Your last resort is to contact the publisher, which supplied the font.

Whether you convert to outlines or use outright, it makes no difference. The same restrictions would still apply (if there were any.) Altering artwork by moving some lines around, also does not change your situation. Making a few alterations does not make it yours.

If indeed you want to be "sure," visit a reputable web site, purchase/download a font that you like that explicitly specifies that you have the legal right to use it commercially.
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

Frank you can check the specific font version you have install by using Windows Explorer. Navigate to the Fonts folder for you version of Windows. Locate your Zapf Humanist BT file and right click the filename. Select Properties from the popup menu and select the Details tab of the Properties window. You will see the copyright owner information. You can also see the Font Embeddability information. In my example I can use the font in any personal or commercial purpose but I cannot embed for others to use.

If the embeddable info were Editable or Installable it could be embedded and other people could use the font directly from my uploaded file.

Xara will not embed the Zapf Humanist font I have so it can be used if I wished to enter the contest you mentioned.

What was your specific question about using the font?

BTW the font on my system was installed by Corel Draw X4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zapfhumanist.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	91007  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Version 1.01 of the ultra is not embeddable. Version 1.0 is. The name is ever so slightly different.
    Zapf Humanist 601 Ultra BT is the embeddable version. Flip the BT before the Ultra and you get version 1.01

However, if one finds a font not embeddable, save a project under a new name and convert the font to curves. It is the rare license which does not allow that.

Take care, Mike

Font designs cannot be copyrighted, only the font names, oddly enough.

And in this case, both the above names belong to Bitstream.

Do beware, though. While font designs cannot generally be copyrighted in the US (there are exceptions), other countries have different copyright law and longevity of copyright that includes fonts.

Take care, Mike