Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default ? regarding changing font to editable shape

Here is a question for everyone. I have been working on a book cover for a client and was asked to modify a capital letter in the chosen font. The letter "S" had a curly q at the top that needed to be removed. I converted the letter to an editable shape and deleted the offending nodes. Along the way I had to break the points and then reconnect. When I broke the points, Xara split the shape into 2 layers for some reason so I could not rejoin the points later. I ended up combining the layers and was able to rejoin the nodes that way. The problem I had was that when everything was reconnected, I could only color the outline, the shape would not fill. I ended up having to export as a PNG to Photoshop, created an adjustment layer and painted it in. Everything looks great BUT I would have preferred to just reconnect the nodes and fill the letter in Xara. I am sure I did something wrong so any suggestions?

Default Re: ? regarding changing font to editable shape

What Xara version? Your profile shows Xtreme 5.

Got a sample drawing that exhibits the issue?

Take care, Mike

Can you save just the page with the problem outline and let us have a look.

What might be happening here is if the letter has a counter (the inside of a letter such as O g, e, etc) the inside shape and the outside shape have different line directions. It's kind of hard to explain without seeing the outlines.

Another possibility and one that would be preferred, is if you can find the font without the swashes, use that instead. Of switch to a similar font without swashes.

letter.xar

sure, here is the letter (nodes not connected so you see what I mean. Let me know what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by GCFL View Post
    sure, here is the letter (nodes not connected so you see what I mean. Let me know what you guys think.
    Connect the one line that shows a gap. Connect the two lines. And success.

When you need to connect two lines, select both with the select tool. Then press F4 to get the shape tool. Move one node onto another.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Connect the one line that shows a gap. Connect the two lines. And success.

When you need to connect two lines, select both with the select tool. Then press F4 to get the shape tool. Move one node onto another.

Take care, Mike
    Yeah, I know but interestingly when I try to do that in this case, I do not get the "+" sign. I am not pressing F4 however so that may be it. I will try it in a bit. Thanks!

There was a point in the lower left that was open. If you select the line and press Home or End it will take you to the start and end control points.