Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: May 2012 Tutorial - Create Seamless Patterns in Xara Designer Pro X

Hi Stygg—

Noise by its very nature won't tile seamlessly, because there's a randomness, an unpredictability to noise, whereas a perfectly tiling pattern has completely predictable elements. IOW, you have control over your tile's elements, you have none with noise.

That's not to say there's no such thing as seamless tiling noise; see and use the attached png in your work. You just have to define your tile size as 512 × 512 pixels. What I did was render a piece of noise, and then offset it so see any edgework, and when the edges were located at the center of the tile, I cloned the edges away.

Also, fractal noise (they should be simply called "fractals") come in two kinds, depending on the math used to create them. There are terminating, and non-terminating fractal graphics. Not to promote Photoshop on this forum, but the Filters>Render>Clouds uses a self-terminating fractal recipe that will tile perfectly if you define a file that's 256 square, or a multiple of 256 pixels.

@Phil—on my wish list would be fractal recipes in addition to what we have now. I'm not certain all of these names mean anything, or if they are all classic fractal patterns, but they do self-terminate, and I copied the names out of Cinema 4D. And I'm figuring MAXON is a Germany company, and MAGIX is a Germany company, so perhaps the names mean something:

Box Noise
    Cell Noise
    Dents
    Displaced Turbulence
    Electric
    Gaseous
    Hama
    Luka
    Naki
    Nutous
    Ober
    Cell Voronol