Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default open pop up browser window

Hi,

I am trying to create a pop up browser window with definite sizes. I trawled through the forum and found a tutorial from Sledger - http://xara-users.info/demos/popup-windows and also he suggested http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htm

I have tried both and in the case of the tutorial when I preview, the pop up browser window appears o.k. but with the 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' message. It works in the tutorial but not when I try it.

With the DD generator no browser appears, just a warning message that it cannot find the address.

I am using WD7 and have tried both several times making sure everything is where it should be but with no luck.

Anybody any ideas or there another way?

Richy

Default Re: open pop up browser window

cannot display the webpage means there is something wrong with the URL.
    If it's another page in your xara document then make sure you are previewing the 'website' and not just the 'page' - this makes sure that Xara exports all pages for the preview.

Hi Sledger

Please have a look at the attached file and tell me what is wrong, I have copied everything from your demo and it still does not work for me.

Richy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Two things wrong with your file;

[1] The head script formatting has been destroyed in the copy and paste action.
    Ensure the formatting is retained
    Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
    function popUp(URL) {
    day = new Date();
    id = day.getTime();
    eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=1,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=800,height=800,left = 560,top = 200');");
    }
    // End -->
    </script>
    [2] The 'Open link' was set to New window (_blank) - this should be 'Not specified'

Also, that demo was created for version 6. Now, in version 7 (Premium) there is no need to name placeholders <head> or indeed use a placeholder at all for the head code.
    You can simply place the script code in the head section in the Page tab of Web properties.

I have attached your corrected file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 05 April 2012 at 10:50 PM.

Hi Sledger,

Many thanks for that but I must be missing something, I don't see a head section in the Page Tab of Web Properties.
    I reverted to a placeholder named <head> inserted the code correctly and it works fine.

Thanks again
    Richy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web properties.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	88580  

Ah, you're not using the premium version - sorry about that. Yes, you will need to follow the version 6 rules and use a placeholder named <head>