Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Border Around Pop-Up Images/Pictures

I've spent so much time researching this issue I'm ready to scream.

First, why would XWD 7.1 slap a border around all pop-ups by default? Two, why would that border cover up part of all four edges of the image it's bordering?

It's one thing to have a default border around a pop-up, quite another to have it partially obscure the image it's bordering, and lastly, a hard slap in the face to not be able to adjust, remove, recolor or do anything else to this border unless you use a third-party app like Highslide.

What were the developers possibly thinking? And why three to four years on hasn't this been corrected? I don't want to integrate third-party software to handle problems that should have never been introduced to begin with.

Wouldn't it have been far smarter to just have the pop-ups show the image as intended? Centered and in their entirety? Then if someone wishes to get fancy, let them then go find a sub-app to mess with other settings. Basic usability first, then more if desired.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but no program should introduce a problem where one wasn't present, and then make it dental surgery to correct that oversight.

Doc

Default Re: Border Around Pop-Up Images/Pictures

Hi Doc
    I don't want to integrate third-party software to handle problems that should have never been introduced to begin with.
    Highslide IS integrated third party software.

Hi Doc

I think you're over-reacting a LOT just because this particular issue affects you personally. But in the four or so years it's been included in the product I've never read a rant like yours concerning this particular feature. This would therefore suggest that something that is clearly a MASSIVE annoyance for you, has not actually bothered the wider Xara community.

What's more, I cannot work out which border you are talking about. Can you post a screenshot?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

It never bothered me, especially as you can use the excellent highslide tweeks, one of which can remove the border all together.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Yes, that tweaks thread should be sticky but somehow it lost this status. Fixed now. Should be much easier to find.
    John.

It's not the highslide border obscuring the popup image, xara exports the popup image to match the thumbnail. So if your thumbnail is cropped, so is the popup image. Which is fine, but I agree it would be great if there was an option to have the popup image exported in it's entirety without being cropped. I made a dear xara post about it a while ago http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...f-popup-images
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Unless I am mistaken, and I am more often than not, the image that appears in the Highslide Pop-up is the same image as the thumbnail.

doceye - If you are really concerned about having all your thumbnail images one size but having the pop up image be the full image, something like this http://www.placitasartists.com/g_priester/, then take a little extra time and put your large images on pop up layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pops up.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	87563  

Unless I am mistaken, and I am more often than not, the image that appears in the Highslide Pop-up is the same image as the thumbnail.
    That's right, but it would be great if there was the option for your top right cropped thumbnail to popup to the full image in the bottom left. If you have a lot of images in a gallery then doing manual popup layers would be a nightmare, it would create bloat (in the editor and the exported html) and take ages to do. A simple checkbox on the image popup tab (use full image) or something like that would be quick, easy and add no extra objects, layers or even html. It's pretty common behaviour for an image gallery to have uniform thumbnails that blow up to uncropped landscape/portrait images, and you can't really do that in Xara right now without distorting the images. The full image is there in the editor (non destrucive editing and all) so it should be possible for it to be exported resized without the cropping.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.