Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PHP

Default PHP

Apparently I need to save some files as PHP but cannot see a way adding the code ;

<?php
    session_start();
    ?>

to the very first line of the HTM file which is generated, also I have tried renaming the page to index.php but it still exports as index.htm

Any Ideas anybody ?

Default Re: PHP

You need to put the code in a placeholder and give it special name <html> -> http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...anced-features
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Hi Tom,

when I read the placeholder help it said placeholders can only be between HEAD or BODY, I need to have that PHP code in the first line i have been told ?

Yep, just put your code in HTML code (body) and apply that special name to the placeholder, it will put the placeholder code at the top before anything else.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Hi JudgeyK

Try naming your first page "thiswillbemyfoldername.htm" and your second page "index.php"

I'd suggest leaving the first page as it is so it will export as index.htm, then manually name the next page index.php.

Then once you're site is published manually delete the empty index.htm page from your web server.

I've used that method before without any issues (so far) is there anything I should watch out for ?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I'd suggest leaving the first page as it is so it will export as index.htm, then manually name the next page index.php.

Then once you're site is published manually delete the empty index.htm page from your web server.
    I would have thought this is quite dangerous as you risk re-uploading the blank index.htm to your server if by any twist of fate you make an unintended edit to that page (page length, unintended text box, easily done when the mouse is clicking away). If your server's default page priority is index.htm(l) before index.php or index.shtml (which I believe is the common default config) you're going to be in trouble, especially if it is a site for somebody else.

I call my first page "site.htm". That way my assets folder is "site_htm_files" and then my second page on the site is "index.php".

As Drwyd asks, is there a reason this is not a good idea?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Drwyd, Frank, you're both quite right, thanks. I can't remember the reason I was thinking of last night why I didn't think it was such a good idea, but indeed naming the page something other than index will be better more consistently across different web servers (as per Frank explaination).