Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default H1 settings etc?

I am considering changing my software to WD7 Premium and just trying the 30 day trial. Perhaps it's just me getting old but how on earth do you define text on a page as H1, H2 etc?

In Fusion 11 you just highlighted the text, went to the text settings and clicked on H1. Despite RTFM and searching the forum I can't seem to find a reference to this anywhere. I am currently playing with the default site as supplied with the trial.

Can anyone help?

Denis.

Default Re: H1 settings etc?

Use a random character at the beginning of your text as a placeholder - in the "replace with html code" put <h1>. Do the same with a random character at the end of the text but add the code </h1>

Have a look at the attached file where the dots are the placeholders which will make it clearer
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hmmm, OK and thanks for that. Seems long winded for something so simple though.

In the demo site though it comes out HUGE. Where would you go to change the H1 etc settings, size and colour, for the site?

Denis.

H1 etc not as important as they used to be by all unbiased accounts and Xara products aren't html editors anyway remember Xara also doesn't do styles so you can alter size and colour of h1 text as you would any other text.
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

It's so hard to find resources that all agree. I have found the following which seems to suggest that H1 etc tags are still important, and I'm sure if we trawl the results pages, we can find other pages pro and con the important of using H1 tags.

My take on this is the same as Keywords. Putting keywords or keyword phrases in the keywords meta tag is pretty pointless from an SEO point of view, but what it does do is it forces you to focus on the purpose of a page. Your page title, whether you use H1 tags or not, should be the only H1-type title on the page. Don't dilute your page content with a whole bunch of H1-type headings - it is counter-productive. Googlebot isn't an idiot - it recognises a page title when it sees one (and it will not see page titles that are images, your alt tags will have less weight than a correct title) so use them wisely.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

You can always style the h1 tags with a little extra code in the html placeholder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm afraid I'm with Big Frank here. If nothing else I think it is good practice to still use header texts and meta tags. I am probably wrong but I find keywords quite important.

With regards to altering the size or colour of <h1> in the normal text editing controls, I fail to see how as the <h1> over-rules other settings. Font size and colour additions to the placeholder html also seem to make no difference. Which raises a another question, h1 html tabs works and brings up huge text,so there must be a setting somewhere? or is it that all browsers have a default operation for h1 etc if the tabs are there but the definition is not?

I'm confused!

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    You can always style the h1 tags with a little extra code in the html placeholder.
    Well, I tried that in the trial site and couldn't get it to work. I think that using NOF for over 10 years has fried my old brains somewhat!