Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Post Google Web Fonts & XDP7 (as a Web publishing tool, of course)

Hi Collective!

Happy New Year, for one!

I have a fixation with using the fonts I prefer for text - rather than the old-hat originals ('web-safe').

Now - in terms of process workflow, I simply love using XDP7, as it makes the entire publishing (& amending) experience such a cinch.

Google Web Fonts - it was easy enough to paste their Code into a Placeholder and get the browser to render the 'odd' font, in web-safe format. Great!

However - does this now mean that if I want to create whole a page of text, I'm now having to write Code, to create the blocks of text, formatting, etc - and then pasting into one large placeholder?

Is there no way to create the text as normal in Xara in a textbox (including formatting such as Bold, etc) - and then somehow have Code elsewhere to 'tell' Xara or the browser how to render that text?

I hope the question's reasonably clear!

Look forward to your help, with anticipation.

Arif

Default Re: Google Web Fonts & XDP7 (as a Web publishing tool, of course)

Not sure if this will work but it is worth a try.

In the Website Properties > Website tabbed section, add your script in the BODY or HEAD (which ever is appropriate) section. This will add that code to each page in your site.

I understand what you're getting at, Arif. Basically, you're looking for a widget that will bridge the gap between Gary's suggestion and the method you've been using up until this point.

It would be nice if XWD7P had a utility that could recognize my system's TTF fonts, convert them to "web-usuable", generate CSS on save, and upload them to the server (as-needed) when the site got published.

I'm not certain if this would be extremely easy or extremely difficult for Xara to incorporate into the program.

There is always the issue of copyright violation when you embed a font.

You can see signs of this when you export to PDF and ask Xara to embed the fonts. A lot of contemporary fonts are protected by copyright and embedding is not acceptable.

I understand, but does that rule out the value of such a feature for fonts I create myself or for fonts that I have permission to use?

...not to mention the tons of freebie fonts such as the ones from places like fontsquirrel.com.
    Last edited by ksiads; 17 February 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Additional thought

Ksaids it does rule out the use of some freebie fonts that are for personal use only.

As for fonts you create or have license to use commercially you would need to personally do conversion for web-use. A feature within an application like Xara Designer Pro would not touch any font that has a copyright because it has no way of knowing if you have license or have created the font.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update