Defining things makes my head ache <g>.

Yes, a pretty ill-defined series of statements. And a dichotomy you pointed out. Much of my life is filled with dichotomy though, so that's alright.

A little closer to my thoughts would be to write: I am not practiced in translating what I believe I feel, or about about how my mind interprets, a thought or an idea in a mechanical manner. One could practice an artist's version of free-writing, simply starting and seeing where it ends up. I failed miserably during early grade school in the artistic expression of finger painting, so there might not be hope. Heck, I probably asked my teacher what was the point of smearing paint on paper if it didn't resemble "something."

The thought about what artistic expression is and its many forms is well taken. Of course I am accomplished in many things, well capable in others, and perhaps excel in another. Those too are artistic expression ranging from a loose definition to a more pointed one. I was limiting the earlier comments to artistic design and element origination, not compilation or copying. My current business has plenty of avenues for artistic expression, such as this handle:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disston.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	87034

In the end it must be said all the business really does is specialize in copying dead people. That handle is a copy of one made in about 1890. The skill in replicating is artful.

Rationalization and babble aside, I am enjoying the discussion. It has served me as way of explanation of my starting point in the absorption and application of what I hope to get out of these new discussions that are happening.

Take care, Mike