Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Shadow movie

I restarted Xara this evening and it told me there was a new movie to download. I chose download and it indicated it was a Shadow tutorial movie.
    I have a broardband connection and it took approx 1 minute.
    However, on opening the Help / Movies dropdown, nothing was indicated as a new movie.
    My questions are this:
    Was this a new movie? (I can't say I remember all the movies) and why didn't it show as a new movie on the movies dropdown list on download completion?
    I only point this out in an effort to save dial up members 10 minutes of download if it's not needed. Could someone check to see if they have alreadt have the 'Using Shadows' movie from an original download?
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I restarted Xara this evening and it told me there was a new movie to download. I chose download and it indicated it was a Shadow tutorial movie.
    I have a broardband connection and it took approx 1 minute.
    However, on opening the Help / Movies dropdown, nothing was indicated as a new movie.
    My questions are this:
    Was this a new movie? (I can't say I remember all the movies) and why didn't it show as a new movie on the movies dropdown list on download completion?
    I only point this out in an effort to save dial up members 10 minutes of download if it's not needed. Could someone check to see if they have alreadt have the 'Using Shadows' movie from an original download?
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Can't help you Egg ... I just noticed my movies aren't available http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I have the shadow movie already Egg and when I invoked Xara X1 today there was no notification pop up to let me know there is a new one. So that must have been a tiny bug or something.

I did, upon watching the movie a couple of times, see applying colors illustrated in a way that I can not seem to make happen. In the movie it shows us that all we need do is click on a color from the color bar and presto chango the shadow color changes and not the object. Not with my attempts. The object changes color and not the shadow color and the shadow tool was selected each time I tried to make this happen.

Any insight on this?? Seems Xara Group Ltd. did not explain how this was done if indeed it's a key stroke combined with a mouse click!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Ctrl-Click, with the Shadow selected using the Shadow tool (look for a small black square above and to the left of the shadow).

Incidentally, you can also do this with the Selector tool, if you click on the shadow rather than the object (again, look for the small square).

Regards, Myles.

Egg,

Xara also downloaded the Shadow movie this morning when I opened it. I don't know if it is new or what, as it does not indicate as a new movie.
    Can't remember if it is the same as original or not.

Regards,
    Dave
    I'm not really an Android, work just makes me feel that way.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

When I opened xara this afternoon, the shadow Movie downloaded. Did not watch the original but xara works the way explained in the movie.

The other point I wanted to mention... If you look at the very last line of the movie page you see a date/time block. see Pretty Picture... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Da Wise mule strikes again... hehehehehe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	18849  
    John/DOT

If you look in your Xara/Xara1/HelpandSupport/Eng folder or where ever your movies are stored in your system you will see two shadow movies. One called shadow_large.avi (2988KB, 6/7/2004) and one called shadow_small.avi(892KB). The former is of course the new one and the one you now get when you click on Using Shadows in the Xara Movies list. The old uses a logo as an example of using shadows whereas the new one uses the black blobs and adds the info that the shadow expands if you add to the object.

Don

Thanks everyone for your replies. So it did download a new movie. Previously this fact was shown in the Movies gallery, but maybe they can't do it for an ammendmed movie.
    Egg
    Egg

Well I did a checkup, as my auto update thing seems to be broken. I DID get the update and a new movie was downloaded and installed along with a new movies links file.

1) It overwrote the older one, which uses a high quality color logo and replaced it with an ugly black blobs example.

2) The newer movie does not play in the Camtasia player, while the older one does.

3) The older movie provides more information and, again, looks more pleasant to the eye.

So, since I backed up the older movies I was able to change the older movie to shadows_large.avi and dropped it in the <span class="ev_code_RED">C:Program FilesXaraXara X1HelpAndSupportNG</span> folder and guess what? This movie is the one that's played, the newer, ugly, less informative movie is ignored!!

Interesting!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---