Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Blender: Modeling with curves

There's a new video tutorial in Blender Nerd (Blender 2.60) on modeling with curves.

Based on what I learned there I made "something" - could be a chess pawn. Playing with some mirrors I came to this effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modeling with curves.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	85239
    Guy -

I love these tools

Default Re: Blender: Modeling with curves

Hello Guy,

I saw the same video. It's a good presentation (I agree) and with several important points.

Though I'd built objects up from curves/paths, I hadn't used the method he demonstrated, where you could see the whole object in real-time while editing the curve that defines it. I thought that was especially cool.

I don't know, but am curious what the overhead is re: using curves vs. polygonal objects.

Certainly, for the use that he had (reconstructing the logo), it was the right approach. And it's amazing how much like the Shape Editor tool (in Xara) it was when he was using the curves to define the logo.

Re: Your Objects

Those look really cool... like battling chromish tops or so. Would you care to try to select the objects and change the coordinates to Reflected after choosing some complex image and then render it again? Depending on the input image, I bet you'd get something really cool with all those soft curves of your objects.

[If you have Alien Skin Glass, then there is a folder within the installation that has reflection maps and there are several in there that look like they would look great on those objects. It's a way of getting complex reflections on objects, even though the "live" in a relatively simple environment.]

Take care

James

James,

I don't have the Alien Skin add-ons, but what I did is take a picture of some foliage, and I must say, I never expected this result.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I tried a few other pictures, e.g. a red sky, etc. but for me this one worked best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modeling with curves1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	85242

Since I used the same material for the mirrors, it adds an extra curtain-like effect. Again, I tried a different texture for the mirrors, but liked this one best.
    Guy -

I love these tools

Hello Guy,

That looks really cool as well!

Re: Thanks for the tip

You're welcome, of course.

That's another cool thing about working in 3D, you can make sweeping changes without having to recreate everything.

You're amassing some good 3D skills, if I may say so!

Peace

James