Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Can't "Open With" Designer Pro 7

When in explorer, you select a jpeg, right click => open with, then beneath you'll find "select standard program" or "select default program" or something like that (my windows is a dutch version so I'm translating). Click that and you get recommended programs, but you also have a browse button, through which you can look for Xara. If you then tick "open this type of file always with this program", you should be ok. Similar procedures are to be used for any type of file you want to open with Xara (or with another program)
    Guy -

I love these tools

yes - thats more or less how I would do it in XP
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by guyke View Post
    When in explorer, you select a jpeg, right click => open with, then beneath you'll find "select standard program" or "select default program" or something like that (my windows is a dutch version so I'm translating). Click that and you get recommended programs, but you also have a browse button, through which you can look for Xara. If you then tick "open this type of file always with this program", you should be ok. Similar procedures are to be used for any type of file you want to open with Xara (or with another program)
    Thanks, but have tried this, and it doesn't work. The Open With dialogue window which opens up does not have DP7 listed in it, in either screen, and using Browse to select the DesignerPro 7.exe file does not achieve anything either. No idea what to do, as Xara had also responded to my query with what you have suggested here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	85136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 1.PNG 
Views:	74 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	85137  

Last edited by AlterEgo; 09 November 2011 at 06:52 PM.

using the browse button can you not navigate [drill down] to the .exe file in the xara program folder?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    using the browse button can you not navigate [drill down] to the .exe file in the xara program folder?
    Yes, but selecting that achieves nothing, nothing alters.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    What I mean to say is that I should expect that Designer Pro would then show up in the Open With dialogue window as an available program; it does not. It's almost like it's a 'hidden' application. The.exe file is in the correct place, the program functions if I start it from the task bar, and it appears in the Program menu. However, it does not show in the Open With dialogue window, nor does it appear in this window if I access it through the Make a File Type...Applications, and select Change. Stumped!

ok - in windows XP I would go windows explorer and from menu bar: tools> folder options > file types and then 'force' the change there - not sure how to do that on windows 7, maybe someone will jump in, if not I will get back asap
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

When you browse to the designer pro 7 folder, there are two program icons one is for the main program the other is for the set up make sure have NOT clicked the set up.exe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    It should start DP7, not change the list of available programs right away.

I looked through the windows 7 help files, and the explanation I gave earlier is all they come up with.
    Guy -

I love these tools

When at the Choose Program dialog box, selecting Browse, navigating to the folder with the appropriate .exe file, and selecting said .exe file should cause the application icon to show up on the list displayed in the dialog box (at which point you should be able to select it and hit OK to open the file with the selected app). If it does not, there's an issue with Windows itself (make sure you are logged in with Admin rights, for example).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com