Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,

I need to pull some lines and restrict them to only expanding horizontally, or only vertically?

Can't find it in manual?

Also when I try to numerically enter a line width increase with the line height at zero it gives me an error ..."please enter non zero...blah blah" but I don't want to modify the line height at all just the width? This also happend on the vice versa side of things also!

Still I think Xara is an awesome value and its just a matter of me relearning it as is interface and use is quite different than Adobe Ill on the Mac or Macromedia Fireworks I used to have when I was on the Mac.

Thanks,
    Muoginhttp://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hello,

I need to pull some lines and restrict them to only expanding horizontally, or only vertically?

Can't find it in manual?

Also when I try to numerically enter a line width increase with the line height at zero it gives me an error ..."please enter non zero...blah blah" but I don't want to modify the line height at all just the width? This also happend on the vice versa side of things also!

Still I think Xara is an awesome value and its just a matter of me relearning it as is interface and use is quite different than Adobe Ill on the Mac or Macromedia Fireworks I used to have when I was on the Mac.

Thanks,
    Muoginhttp://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hold down the CTRL key while moving one of the line points (nodes?) with the shape editor tool

Have Fun

Art

Two more methods, if you are working with a single line segment:

1. Using the Selector Tool, click on the line and then drag the relevant middle selection-handles.

OR

2. a. Select the line, then choose the Shape Editor Tool, click on an end-node, and tap the appropriate ARROW KEY to "nudge" the end-node (if you hold the Alt key while nudging you can do very small moves).

2. b. When using the Editor Tool you can also take advantage of the INFO BAR. Just select an end-node of a line segment and then type in a value in the Infor Bar's entry box next to the "L" (for length).

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Muogin - Foxa's approach works but it can be even more simply. Just select the line and pull the middle selection handle accordingly.

To do it numerically enter the line width number you want but don't change the height one at all. Your line will change length accordingly. It will also get proportionately thicker if you have the aspect ratio locked. (The aspect ratio is locked/unlocked by toggling the little lock icon on the tool bar). Also note that the 'set origin position' icon on the tool bar can be useful when inputing numerical widths & heights (and rotations & flips). It can be used to control the direction your line extends towards...

Hope this helps. Regarding the interface: for many of us it is quite intuitive. I personally often find it hard to describe even basic tasks because I just do them without much conscious thought. With a little more familiarity I think the interface will become your close friend too!

Regards, Ross

Well I was wrong about a couple of things. Sorry!

The aspect ratio does not apply to line scaling.

I too get the error message when using numerical inputs --- but only if the 'scale line width' button is not depressed. Must be a bug. (I almost always work with that button depressed). I suppose the implications are that if you intend to do a numerical resize, check the linewidth first so you can reinstate it after scaling the line.

Regards, Ross

Muogin, hello and welcome.
    Looking at your problem raised an interesting issue. I always work in pixel units but use Point units for line width. Never realised that before, but just an aside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1a_background_attribute2.gif 
Views:	390 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	7568  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ross
    That's an interesting bug (if it is a bug)
    Create a horizontal line .75 points line width,
    it has a hieght of 1 pixel which is correct.
    Hit the 'Scale Line Width' button to turn this off and the line hieght becomes 0 pixels !!!!
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg - and then try a numerical input for the length and you'll get the error message. Toggle so 'scale line widths' is active, repeat the numerical input and it works.

Regards, Ross

When "Scale line widths" is turned on the fields giving the size of the selection include the width of the line. When "Scale line widths" is turned off the fields do not include the width of the line. If you have a horizontal line selected then the height of the selection is zero without the line width included and is equal to the line width when the line width is included. When you resize an object by typing a new value into the size fields, the program must first work out how much you are scaling the object by. If the original size is zero, then making it any size at all implies an infinite scaling. This is impossible, hence the error that is given.

I hope that clears up the confusion...

Gerry Iles