Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aurora

Default Aurora

Further to angelize on the optics of light. Aurora Australis in New Zealand.
    This was a slide that I have scanned, image taken back 2001, and have not altered anything other than adjustment to levels using the histogram.
    On getting my slides back I was amazed at what the camera had caught as my eye could see a hint of the green arch as a brighter light, and I could see the rays flicking but the eye did not pick up the individual colours of the aurora, I could see a reddish hue high in the sky. On leaving the camera open for anything from 30sec to 1min, when I got the slides back I was amazed at all the colours each layer of the atmosphere makes in an aurora. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aurora Australis.23.25-11-01.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	84118
    IP

Default Re: Aurora

Kathleen that is very beautiful. A camera is the best way to view any aurora. The eye's persistance of vision is too short to "see" all the colours.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thank you soquili.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That is a very beautiful image!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

I have looked at that image several times kshep. I really like it. I was wondering if that would make a good kaleidoscope, would you mind if I use your image and try it?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Thank you for asking. Yes, have a try, thats cool. Let me know how you get on, sounds interesting. Kathleen.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I have looked at that image several times kshep. I really like it. I was wondering if that would make a good kaleidoscope, would you mind if I use your image and try it?
    IP

Thanks Kathleen, here is my first go round with this. I'm going to try one with more "spokes" soon. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope you like this one.

Aurora kaleidoscope.swf
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

No wonder you got the name wizard, that is very cool. Look forward to seeing more spokes, you sort of get that feeling of being there again watching the lights with the movement. Well done.
    Kathleen.
    IP

Thanks for the compliment Kathleen. The name Wizard came from my interest in magic. My first love has always been and still is art, but at one time when I wasn't painting I used to be a semi-professional magician.
    I don't know what spawned the kaleidoscope thing but I started a thread in the challenges forum called community project hoping to get people involved in trying to help figure out how to do a kaleidoscope using only Xara.
    Paul Psaumure is the one who actually figured this method out and I think he deserves the credit. Before him I had figured out a different method that sometimes gave an acceptable result, but this method is the best. I'm going to try one using the other photograph you posted (Iridescent Clouds) when I get time.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

IP

Cool kaleidoscope, Larry (using Kathleen's excellent picture)

It looks like you are continuously ascending in a shaft of light...

Peace

James
    IP