Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Designer 7 Premium Website Size Limitations?

I'm considering switching my 2000+ page website over to Xara Web Designer 7 Premium. The current software I use has been outgrown and is now dumping my content as the size of my site is too large - who knew???

Trying to find out if Web Designer 7 Premium can handle this size site (it's not complicated, just a lot of content) and future growth. I have a travel website where I publish my travel stories and those of guest writers.

I'm a computer dummy and need something simple enough to work on myself, but that won't all of a sudden stop working.

Thanks for any feedback.

Default Re: Web Designer 7 Premium Website Size Limitations?

I would not recommend it. I really think it would be overtaxing WD7's capabilities. Unless you can break your site down into smaller more manageable modules. See this article for an example of what I am suggesting http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%201.html

Default Re: Web Designer 7 Premium Website Size Limitations?

wavejourney,

Welcome to the forum.

You may not be a professional web developer, but the web site you have fits the definition of being beyond a hobby or other small web site. And you are correct, I don't think SiteBuilder is a good platform to continue in the site. It builds, for lack of a more generous description, outdated-looking web sites. And at your stated content volume, is a nightmare to continue using.

I would seriously consider using Joomla for such a site. There is a learning curve but it isn't onerous. It's free and there are a lot (almost too many) freely available add-ons (go light on these) to extend the core Joomla features.

As Gary mentions, you can do the site in Xara products by breaking them down. On a site that large, though, using something that is CSS-based will make for a far easier and consistent look from one page to another--all 2k+ pages you mention.

Take care, Mike