Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi All,

One of my project files has suddenly started throwing this horrible error message up. Anyone out there experienced the same and if so is there anyway of recovering the contents.

http://www.realdrawpro.com.au/error.jpg

Hi All,

One of my project files has suddenly started throwing this horrible error message up. Anyone out there experienced the same and if so is there anyway of recovering the contents.

http://www.realdrawpro.com.au/error.jpg

Sorry to tell you but unless you have a backup, it's back to the beginning again.

I've had this happen before and even sent the file to Xara - even they could not fix it.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

It's a scary error indeed.

I've had it happen to me twice - on very simple files, which had been archived away. I was able to export a jpeg from them, then *bam* they wouldn't open the next time I needed them.

The goofy thing is that the preview thumbnail works, so the file is obviously not "totally" messed up.

I'm sure Xara Ltd. is looking in to it.

This might be a good time to remind peopl about Dmitry's Xara X1 Tune utility that lets you make some easy changes to Xara's registry files, including creating a BAK file every time you save your file. Click here to download Xara X1 Tune.

If it saves your file once, it was worth the free download.

Gary

Casey (Dave?),

Does the program close or will it stay open after you recieve the message??

I had one of those during beta testing and I sent it to one of the techs and they were able to determine that there was a thing with a couple of nodes causing the problem. Were you working with the Freehand tool or did you use the Add Shapes tool to combine two or more shapes together?? Please give us a run down what you were doing before saving the project.

You might write to Tech support, since support responce is supposed to be better now, and see if they would want to have you send them the file for inspection. If they can determine what's causing this problem I'm quite sure they will fix it!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mr. Charles, you out there anywhere?? What say you??
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Well the preview works fine but then the errors. Xara does not shut down after these errors it continues on it's merry way.

What was I doing when this happened RamWolf... hmmm Drinking a cup of coffee I think. Seriously though I was just opening up my file to continue work from last night.

Oh well I've started again. And Gary I already had the X1 Utility but only used it to set the anti-alias to a higher setting. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Thanks at least i know I'm not the only onme experiencing this. Only 1 time so far so no big deal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gwpriester:
    If it saves your file once, it was worth the free download. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember a while back that people were talking about backup programs.

Just a quick post to point you in the direction of the Iomega Rev, a 35GB uncompressed removable backup drive - it appears in My Computer as a removable disc and comes with software which can either (or a combination of) : full (bootable) system backup, scheduled full backup, scheduled changes-only backup, and best of all - automatic revision backups.

Set it monitoring your "My Documents" folder and it will create a one-off complete backup, and then each time you make a change to any file, it not only backs up the change, but maintains a record of the last 5 (or customise it to more/less) revisions of the same file.

I currently have about 5.5GB of data which I used to back up to a Travan NS20 tape drive overnight (it took about 6 hours) but a full backup to the Rev drive takes less than 45 minutes, and the revision backups happen in the background so are invisible, and have not slowed my machine at all so are instant too. The device is available in USB2 and IDE format. GBP200 for the drive, GBP40 for extra cartridges.

A live and current bootable backup! www.iomega.com/rev

With the size of hard drives increasing expoentially I ended up with a spare 80 GB hard disk and bought a USB enclosure for $30, now I have an 80 GB Portable drive. I figure it will be full next Thursday ; ).

Art

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Casey Web Design:
    Well the preview works fine but then the errors. Xara does not shut down after these errors it continues on it's merry way.

What was I doing when this happened RamWolf... hmmm Drinking a cup of coffee I think. Seriously though I was just opening up my file to continue work from last night.

Oh well I've started again. And Gary I already had the X1 Utility but only used it to set the anti-alias to a higher setting. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Thanks at least i know I'm not the only onme experiencing this. Only 1 time so far so no big deal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have been more specific. What were the steps you took before closing the file out before you reopened it the next morning while drinking coffee? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Did it involve any of the opperations that I mentioned in my previous post?

In any case I still think it might be a good idea for a copy to be sent to the tech's to take a look at it!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---