Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Which layer

Default Which layer

I see comments here about putting items on the mouse off layer, etc.

I have been putting most on layer one.

Is there a place that shows what should go where?

Tks - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Which layer

jeb

In wd7 under 'help' click 'xara web designer premium help'. In the search box type 'layers'.

There is a returned result which simply reads 'layers', have a read through first to get a broader understanding.

If you then have any specific questions, we can go from there.
    “When everybody thinks alike, Everyone is likely to be wrong”
    http://antonybrook.co.uk/index.htm

In WD7 Jeb, all default WD page templates have a MouseOff and a MouseOver layer (except the presentation or animation page templates). So perhaps you have imported an old Xtreme document into Web Designer 7 that isn't a 'web document' ?

The MouseOff and MouseOver layers have special properties and should always be used for the purpose for which they are intended I think.

Tks, Ants - I had gone through a lot of that but did not find anything that tells me what should be on what layer.

Mouse over and mouse down are used for nav bars - I have been putting everything else on layer 1 but see from posts here that some are saying put them on mouse off. Does it make a difference? Everything works in preview but I have not posted it to the web yet. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

jeb Your 'layer one' is probably the MouseOff layer.

I've attached a quick guide which I hope shows everything. Basically as a visitor loads the web page they will see 1/ the plasterboard background 2/ the background and 3/ everything on the mouseOff layer (in Your case 'layer one'). As they move the mouse around the loaded web page certain tabs might activate a poup layer ie the buttons on the navigation menu appear to change colour when the mouse is hovered over-they don't, its just another layer that is activated over the top of the 'mouseOff' layer. In this case it's the 'MouseOver' layer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layer_1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	83317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layer_2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	83318

Ants, when I bring up the layer gallery and click on the page, all the layers come up. One of those layers is layer 1 - it is not under any other layer. That is where I have been putting most of what I do on the page unless I am making another layer.

I know some items have to be put under certain layers - mouse off, mouse over. But just didn't know if putting most of what I do under layer 1 is OK or should they be put under mouse down? - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

jeb

attach the xara file to a posting and i'll look at it for you.

As I said before it seems that your layer1 is the mouseOff layer-maybe you imported this design into wd7, but started it in an earlier xara product?

Ants, on the site I am starting now I have moved most to the mouse off layer. Not much on the site as yet so will see how it goes. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Jeb, none of the Xara Web Designer page templates include a 'Layer1' by default. So you must be using a custom page template yes?
    Unless you have popups or other on-mouseover needs, you don't need any other layers on your page at all. MouseOver and MouseOff is quite enough. Some navigation bars will include a MouseDown layer when a MouseDown condition is included, but it's not necessary.

The only layers which should appear below the MouseOff layer, is the Page Background and Pasteboard background (if you have set colours for them, otherwise they won't even be listed).

All this is in the Help file or PDF manual under : Layers, Mouseover (Rollover) & Pop-ups