Quote Originally Posted by Antspants View Post
I am watching this thread with interest but must admit that I'm not really sure what kind of thing you are after. I had a quick browse yesterday and found the exact same sites as those you have posted.

I need a better understanding of what exactly a kaleidoscope effect is, I'll research it.

Does it mean something has to 'rotate' to get the effect or do things kinda swirl in and out from different angles?

Can the effect be acheived by keeping the image static but using over-layers of different shapes/transparrency to create the illusion?
Something like those done by fence post is what I'm after. Like what you would see when looking through a real kaleidoscope. I have been trying to do that gimp tutorial to see how that would look, but, I can't get it to work. I always get an error. How we go about this I don't know, that's why I have posted my failures and why this is a community project to see if all of us that are interested could get close to the effect shown in the url's I posted. I could post some of the animations I found but I don't want to get in trouble for doing that. I guess I'll go to the source and ask for permission. Stay tuned.