Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Torn metal advice please

Hi guys

Im creating a sticker/decal for my car based on the following graphic

http://skateboardingmagazine.com/blo...9/02/plogo.jpg

I have hand drawn the main skull graphic using the Shape Editor (trace didn't really cut it) but I now need some help

In place of the red 'torn' effect I would like to produce a silver steel-like ripped metal effect but still using the original outline of the red area (does that make sense??)
    I am trying to simulate the skeleton ripping through the rear of the car...

I am happy to post the xar file if it it would help (its 1.5mb though)

Any tips would be great

Thanks people

Julian

Default Re: Torn metal advice please

hmmmm

Actually playing with a bitmap fill..... I think this may be the way to go

or using the eye candy live effect - chrome
    Guy -

I love these tools

Thanks Guy

I'll post a pic in a while --- then maybe on the car :-)

Its getting there

http://www.s166324307.websitehome.co.../ripperjh1.jpg

Im liking the 'steel' look -- but its too 'flat' ... I need to try and create some ripples....not sure how tbh

the image is graphic, so the metal should be graphic as well, it just doesn't look right.

my $0.02
    ~ Madalynne ~
    a.k.a.: M1SS D3V10US, a.k.a.: Sharkie

| My TalkGraphics.com Albums | Xara Xone Guest Tutorial 98 |

As you don't appear to be the person who originally drew the graphic, you should be aware that using it without the permission of the copyright holder can come back and bite you in a big way. If they see it on your car, or peruse this forum and notice it, or a friend sees it, or... or... or... => all of these scenarios can end you up in court determining how much is due to them. ESPECIALLY if you use it in a business setting, but even personal use won't get you out of a settlement unless they are exceedingly kind people. It's always better to get permission up front. I hope this helps you avoid a bad scenario down the road.

Best wishes,
    David

David

I was hoping for a lesson in how to create a metal look and not copyright law.... however...... I am fully awear of what you say (who isn't tbh? I'm a reasonably well educated person!)

I have NO intention in using the image for commercial gain... its for a one off car sticker - my take on an iconic image!

This image (created by Vernon Courtlandt Johnson,) has been used by hundreds of individuals over the years in many forms. A friend of mine even had it on the roof of his car and was featured in a skate magazine (presumably read by the 'owner' of the image)... He isn't in jail and was actually thanked for the novel use.

There are also numerous examples of people having this image as a tattoo... presumably they too need to be careful unless they recieve a knock on the door by the copyright police in the middle of the night?

I have a tattoo of an Escher 'Impossible Triangle' and am about to have a 'Dali Clock' --- I'm now seriously worried that Dalis' estate will be 'after me'

TBH I think sometimes we can go too far with this... I am actually fed up of the 'I'm going to sue you' culture that has now been imported from The States to our shores (UK)
    I appreciate that this is somewhat different to copyright but, come on, Its a car sticker for me and no one else!..... I'm a Mechanical Engineer not a graphic designer ... this is for fun and I have attempted to contact VCJ via a Facebook group etc to no no avail..... not sure he is still alive... the image was created in about 1978 AND has been used by others (illegally! for commercial gain - doesn't make it right I know --- just saying i'm probaby ok with a one off car sticker)

That said, there is no excuse for wholesale theft of images and i'm sure this goes on all the time.
    Last year I created a modified 2Tone graphic and conversed with the originator wrt its use on a few teeshirts for me and a couple of friends... I am reasonably well versed at trying to track down the owners but I am not having muck luck with VCJ

So i'm going to continue and quite frankly if Powell (or VCJ) want to chase me for using their image in a one off car sticker then im sure the resulting publicity would be really helpfull to them.

for more info see http://skateboardingmagazine.com/blo...pper-art-show/

Google Powell Ripper to see further examples

Anyway..........

I predict i'm on my own wrt to using Xara for a metal look as this is now a copyright thread...... Shame, but interesting nontheless

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    ...I am fully awear of what you say (who isn't tbh? I'm a reasonably well educated person!)...
    Good. For metal, search Gary's XaraZone site. That word brings up: http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp_a...all&sp_f=UTF-8. You have had two other suggestions, so you are hardly 'on your own.'

Have fun!
    David

Hi joolz.

Have a look at this thread and look at Post #3.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...556#post409556

That might give you some more ideas about a metal type look.

Or type in 'metal' into any search engine. Then look at images for ideas.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...FORM=BIFD#x0y0

Have a look at the link above.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone