Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default HTML Size Limitation?

I'm a newbie, and I've figured out how to put snippets of HTML into placeholders on my pages.

I have three important pages on which I need to put HTML versions of Microsoft Word documents that are 3-4 pages long. This has worked well in other web design software, and I'm able to add and change my Word content at will.

But so far, I can't do that with Web Designer 7 Premium. When I try to paste the HTML (1000+ lines) into the placeholder, only part of it will go in. It seems like the software only accepts so much HTML, and refuses the rest.

It's certainly possible that this is an operator error. If so, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Can somebody tell me what's going on here?

Default Re: HTML Size Limitation?

I can't say what's going on, but then again nobody would find me reading web pages with a 1,000 lines of text, either. I have never seen such a long page on the web and I really wonder why anyone would read it. What is it?

I think a better strategy would be to use a PDF or include the word document as an attachment. Nobody wants to scroll through 1,000 lines of text online if they can possibly avoid it.

Use a placeholder and an <iframe and link to the word exported html

eg: <iframe src=my-word-doc.html width=100% height=100% scrolling=auto frameborder=0></iframe>

Place the my-word-doc.html into the same folder as the index.htm

Pauland: One of the pages in question is HERE. Please take a look at it.

The map with the red dots is a plain old .PNG file, uploaded by my web creation program.

Everything below the map is from a Word document that is converted to HTML and pasted into a placeholder in my web creation program.

The two lines below the map contain abbreviations for U.S. states. Click the abbreviation to go to the state.

The many lines below the abbreviations make up a directory of hotels and other businesses. It's just like a printed directory, except it's online and you can scroll through it. There aren't any big problems with the length of the directory, since one can navigate through it with scroll bars or the blue abbreviations. In fact, it's a lot easier to use than a corresponding printed directory.

I want to make the site even better, though, and incorporate better navigation.

I'm upgrading the site by putting it onto the Xara web page creator. The map will become interactive via a separate web service.

My immediate problem is how to get the directory into the Xara software.

ShapeShifter: I'm hoping I will be able just to paste the HTML into a placeholder, as I can do with my current web creation program. I've heard of iframes, but never used one. If I need to learn about them to accomplish my goal, I suppose can do that. I take it that there will be some FTP actions involved in this.
    Last edited by Tracey; 12 July 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks for the example Tracey - I can see your problem (and it's not cumbersome to scroll - much to my surprise). The windows text box wont accept more than 32000 characters and yours is bigger than that - I believe it's a windows limitation for that kind of text box.

Have you tried copying from the word document then pasting into Xara (not as a HTML snippet). Many people seem to do that for tables.

Paul

Tracey,

I have yet again updated the sample Xara file and uploaded both it and the new index.htm

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/tracey/

I'll also update this info in your other thread...though using two threads is getting confusing.

Take care, Mike

I think I have enough ideas now to make it do what I want it to do. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

I want to make this directory page REALLY good, since our paying customers use it a lot. I'm going to implement an interactive map, so when people click a dot or a state, they are taken to that place, probably on a special page devoted to it. There's a lot for me to learn before I make the decisions on how to handle it.

I think I want somehow to keep the "one long directory", though, for those who want to browse the whole thing. It WILL be distinctive, useful, etc. It just takes time to figure out how to do it. ;-)

I don't know if anybody noticed, but when you click the name of a city or state, you are taken to the Wikipedia article for that place. And if you click a green or red dot, you go to a special place.

Well, I have been able to do what I wanted to do (with a different page than shown before, but the need and the solution are the same). See it HERE. The links to the various Service Branches aren't working, and I need to tweak some sizes of things, but basically it does what I want: Give people a way to scroll through a long list of items.

The secret was the "Embed a Website Widget," which I think is putting in the "iform" thing that was mentioned before and I don't know much about.

Yes, this is an <iframe