Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: My latest...

Playing with reflection and transparency settings. Have seen those amazing glass you people have been doing, but haven't gotten anywhere near what you're posting. I think it has something to do with reflection mapping, but I can't duplicate them with Blender, yet . Sometime soon, maybe. The problem with Blender is there are no presets, and that darned blue background that gets reflected everywhere. And colored transparencies don't cast colored shadows, as I found out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pens.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	3253  

Playing with reflection and transparency settings. Have seen those amazing glass you people have been doing, but haven't gotten anywhere near what you're posting. I think it has something to do with reflection mapping, but I can't duplicate them with Blender, yet . Sometime soon, maybe. The problem with Blender is there are no presets, and that darned blue background that gets reflected everywhere. And colored transparencies don't cast colored shadows, as I found out.

Cool pens G-man. maybe you should look into exporting your models and scenes into another rendering engine. Can you do that?

Love the pens.

Try adding a sphere to your scene that is big enough to enclose the whole scene. Then use a photogrpah of the sky or something. Use that as a material on the sphere. That will give you nice reflections. (if blender supports them)

Seems like the last time I looked at Blender it did not support reflections, you had to use a channel in the material to fake the reflections. Has that changed. Does Blender still use Scan line render or does it have a full Raytrace render now?

It supports raytracing now, although no caustics or omni lighting. There are free renderers available, like yafray or povray, but I don't think I'm ready for those yet. Think typing in the parameters for the render. It takes a degree of visualization I'm not ready to handle yet. There's also a built in yafray renderer, but it's pretty dissapointing. Not fully implemented yet. There seems to be a new release coming up next month. Maybe more improvements then? Anyway, it's an interesting experience, learning new things.
    Randy, will try that trick. I seem to recall some tutorial that used that, only it's used to provide omni-lighting. A skydome, I think. Some post in Elysiun seemed to mention something like that.

Thanks I had a modeling problem and this
    post solves it
    Truckerette49 aka Judy Riggs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Rives:
    Love the pens.

Try adding a sphere to your scene that is big enough to enclose the whole scene. Then use a photogrpah of the sky or something. Use that as a material on the sphere. That will give you nice reflections. (if blender supports them)

Seems like the last time I looked at Blender it did not support reflections, you had to use a channel in the material to fake the reflections. Has that changed. Does Blender still use Scan line render or does it have a full Raytrace render now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice looking pens Grafixman.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update