Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is Webdesigner right for this project?

So a little background before i ask my questions... I work for a small bowling center that does not yet have a website but is interested in having one. Now I thought maybe i could build one for him. Now i have never created a web site before and my research led me to xara's website and i though it was the best wysiwyg designer i saw...

Q1: he wanted to be able to put on the site league recap sheets ( basically a standard sheet of paper, front and back, that has teams positions and bowlers averages on it) the issue is these need to be updated every week and there are 10 different leagues. Is this something Xara webdesigner 7 premium can do for me easily?

Default Re: Is Webdesigner right for this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Donny531 View Post
    Is this something Xara webdesigner 7 premium can do for me easily?
    The question is, is it something you can do with Web Designer 7?
    The software won't do a thing on it's own. You'll need to try it for 30 days and learn as much about it as you can from the help file and the two xara forums.

Updating the site once a week is nothing more than making the changes in Web Designer and republishing the changed files.
    Getting the information into a format you can easily work with is probably going to be the challenge if you are simply being handed a sheet of paper.

Web Designer is a very powerful WYSIWYG web designer application limited only by experience (with it) and imagination.
    If you have some HTML knowledge then you can make use of 'placeholders' for code snippets which will enable more flexibility.
    But Web Designer is not a HTML editor and it though it is supplied with many starter templates cannot import templates created by other software.

Best advice - try it out.

Thanks ShapeShifter. I heard the trial does not come with any templates is this true? and if so does that mean there are no buttons or any of the design elements shown in the demo videos?

There are some templates, navbars and buttons etc to try out.
    The extended and full compliement of templates is available as a free download after product purchase and registration.
    Also, remember that this is not a 100% template driven web design application. Far from it really.
    You can throw away all Design gallery objects and still create a great website using the tools provided. Maybe even better because it won't look like a template clone.
    I'd avoid Web Designer 7 (which is rather lacking) and go with Web Designer 7 **Premium**

I thought that premium is the way to go as well. I gues i was wondering if it is a big hassle to republish the site as i would have to do it once a week but you kind of answered that. As far as being handed the paper i though i could scan it then put it up that way.

No hassle at all actually.
    A little early for this perhaps, but some points to be aware of.

*Always save the project (document) file. This the the file with the extension *.web
    *Don't delete the original (first) local exported copy of the finished site.
    *Always export to the same local folder when re publishing
    *Always check 'Republish changed files only'

Hello

(Number of bowling leagues) x (number of teams) x (number of players per team), sounds like a lot of data to enter every week. It's possible, but sounds time-consuming. Are the recap sheets manually created or done by computer?

If manually, then perhaps you want to scan the sheets and have them clickable images from scanning. If by computer, then you can likely spreadsheet the data and pull it right into the Xara program...

I do believe you can do what you are attempting, with this software...

Peace

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 18 June 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: 7-10 split

Thanks James that is what i was thinking. All the leagues use software to keep track of the bowling scores averages etc. the only issue there is every league has a diffrent person in charge of the record keeping. Thanks for your advice!