Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How can I create a shadow effect on one side of image only?

Hi,

I need to produce a PNG image that will be used as a menu bar that has a shadow effect on the top side only. The image will ultimately be just 1 pixel wide and then be repeated as required to create the right width (length) on the web page. How can I slice the image without getting a shadow effect on any of the other 3 sides?

Obviously the edges of the image must be sharp so there is no banding effect when the image is extended

Thanks
    Patrick

Default Re: How can I create a shadow effect on one side of image only?

Create your rectangle and add a shadow. Convert to editable shapes and ungroup which should allow you to select the shadow on its own. You can then either crop the shadow on three of the sides or reduce the size to hide it underneath your rectangle, which ever gives you the best result.
    Derek

Or add the shadow with "0" in the x co-ordinate and "-1" in the y co-ordinate, which lays the shadow only across the top. As long as x = 0 there will be no shadow on either side.

I don't know how shallow your shadow needs to be, but you can also use fractional values for the y number, like -0.5 which is the only one I've used myself.

Play with the blur (presumably "0") and transparency and you can get the shadow to range from dark black to virtually invisible.

I can't envision what you're trying, so I hope this helps you!

Derek, your suggestion worked perfectly...in light of that; didn't get to try your idea Mike, but thanks for responding.

Cheers,
    Patrick